Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's finally here, the first chemotherapy session.


I had a great time last night with my two former students, Jon and Jen. These two beautiful siblings were students of mine in the '90s. When I left that school in 1994, we decided to have lunch together that summer, and then the next summer, and the next, and the next, etc. Although we missed a few summers recently, we really did keep that tradition going. It was so nice of them to come by last night for a few hours of conversation and fun food. I had bought a cheesecake and they brought gigantic, fancy cupcakes. We made a big dent in both, and I just ate another cupcake for breakfast.

It was especially nice last night because they kept me from just sulking about what I have to do this morning. Their timing was excellent. Thanks Jon and Jen!! I love you both.

After they left last night, I put together a package of things to take to the chemo session this morning. I have to bring 4 medications (three for anti-nausea and one anaesthetic cream to put on the port before they insert the needle), a puzzle book and pen, a classic children's novel that a girlfriend brought me (Misty of Chincoteague) that I'm in the middle of reading, my Kindle, my iPod, and a shawl. One of the ladies from Central Maryland Chorale, also a breast cancer survivor, sent me a beautiful handmade shawl that came with a beautiful card. It's big, beautiful, and warm. The card said it would be like having loving arms wrapped around you. I love that image, so I'm going to take this shawl to every session and have it around my shoulders. I will feel warm and loved during chemo. Of course, Mark will also be sitting there with me, talking and reading articles from his magazines to me. In fact, I'll probably not get to do all of the fun things I'm taking with me! The time will fly by.

Today's session will be about three hours long, an hour or so longer than the others, because there is some teaching/training to do today. There will also be blood drawn for lab work first, some pre-meds administered for the nausea, taking one of the pills I'm bringing, and then the two different drugs through the IVs, Adriamycin and Cytoxan. One takes about an hour to go in and the other takes half an hour. I have to go back tomorrow for the shot.

Mark is going to take a picture or two of me in the chemo chair, which I'll post tomorrow morning.

I have dreaded this day. I was in denial that this day would ever come right up until last Thursday when Dr. Griffiths finally said it. Yes, even this week, knowing this day was coming, I preferred to keep it in the back of my mind. I have NOT wanted to do this, but now here it is and I AM doing it. I can do it. So many women have to do it, some have to go through worse than this. My friend Saul went through much worse than this. My friend Carol did exactly this. Everyone that has to do something hard like this manages to do it with strength and grace. I hope to do the same. Here I go!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you had a wonderful time last night with your former students. I will be thinking of you today. I will be at chemo today too. I know that you will get through today with strength because you are a strong person. For me I remember that the first chemo was the hardest for me 8 1/2 years ago, and I hope that after the first one they will get much easier for you too. Take care of yourself today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you today.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky. I just read over your last few days and I must say that I absolutely love the haircut.
    You will love having short hair as it is so much easier and will be so much cooler in the future during those hot Florida days. You may never want long hair again after the chemo is over and your new hair grows back!
    I am thinking of you and hope the next few days aren't too bad for you......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from the strength and grace that you have in abundance, you have a wonderful sense of humor that will also come in handy. When you turn your agonizing adventures into your blog, you infuse it with a dose of "Becky" and the pain becomes lighter. So whatever you have faced today, bring it on--we're here for you 24/7 (phrase borrowed from Nadine!).

    ReplyDelete