Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Old friends/New friends; Old weight/New worries.




It's Tuesday, and that means weighing in. Last Tuesday I recapped the right things to do that I have learned, and I resolved to do them, with an eye on mostly trying to keep the weight the same. I was successful, in that I kept my weight the same, 225 again today. For me that is a pretty good accomplishment considering I threw all the "right things to do" out the window after just two days. I wrote everything down last Tuesday and Wednesday and then stopped. I overate at the party on Sunday; I had a mini-binge Saturday night in the house; I ate way too much Chinese food last night. All things considered, I'm pretty ecstatic that I maintained 225 for the week. It's not a good number because it means I gained 7 pounds in a month. On September 16, the morning I headed out for the lumpectomy, I only weighed 219. So, here's an opportunity to try again to stay the same for a week, or maybe lose a little. I'd really LOVE to lose a little, but I will admit that today I do not plan to write everything down. LOL I'm just sayin'!

I'm nervous today because I'm leaving in a few hours to go back to St. Agnes. It's the beginning of the second chemo session with a blood draw, CBC count, and oncology appointment. If the white blood cells are up, then chemo #2 will take place tomorrow. I have a good feeling that the blood count is fine because I've had so few symptoms of any problems this week. I'm worried because I don't know if the second chemo will be the same or worse than the first one. I'm worried that the lidocaine won't numb my skin enough to make puncturing into the port painfree. I'm worried that my bald head will make me sad because this is the week the hair will leave, for sure. Anyway it's really unproductive to worry about these things, so I'll stop. I'll write about the CBC count and any news the oncologist may have either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Last night's dinner with my school friends was fantastic. Laverne and I have known each other since the seventh grade, 1962. That's a really, really long time with lots of water under the bridge, and yet, I always feel like we can pick up right where we left off! I love that. This is a woman who knows ALL my secrets, and yet still loves me, and I love her. The five of us ate and talked and had a great time. Now that Evey lives in California, I'm really looking forward to seeing her more often than ever, once my treatment is complete. I'm so glad we were all able to have a nice time out together.

Tonight I have a relatively new friend coming over for dinner. I met Debbie about 4 years ago when we were both singing alto in the Central Maryland Chorale. I got to know her even better when we went on the trip to New York to sing in Carnegie Hall in June of 2009. Wow! That was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. She is an RN and has been invaluable to me in posting advice and responses to this blog in private emails. I am thrilled to know her, and I'm so very happy that she has been supporting me through this ordeal. I feel especially honored that she is driving all the way up here this evening to visit and join us for dinner. There will probably be pictures of THAT on tomorrow's blog, along with the oncology report.

5 comments:

  1. I am thinking about you today. If you put the cream on your port 1 hour before you get your port accessed it should be pretty numb. I am sure that you will be sad when you lose your hair--I know that I was when I first lost my hair. Just know that you will get used to it as time goes on and it will be not so bad after a while. It definitely is not easy to lose your hair for the first time in my opinion. Is your brother still going to shave his head with you? I hope that will bring you some encouragement. I am hoping that your blood counts are good today so that you can get going on your second chemo tomorrow.

    I am glad that you had a good time with friends yesterday and are planning another good time with your friend today. Have a good afternoon.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    I just got back from the doctor and my blood count is NORMAL. YAY! Neulasta works!

    She said that I was a "good patient." I guess that means I didn't complain too much and showed up on time. LOL

    Anyway I have a little skin infection, so she gave me a week's prescription of an antibiotic, but I'm going in for the chemo at 1:30 tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to take my shawl and my iPod with me.

    Since I didn't cover the lidocain with a bandage(because I didn't have any), the nurse thought it probably didn't work, so they iced me again. Between the two it worked again, because I didn't feel them access it. I was verey nervous, but for no reason.

    There will definitely be pictures of my head-shaving party. Watch for them Monday morning!

    Thanks for all your support, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subtract 3 pounds from water weight from Chinese Food

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky,

    My chemo nurses have me cover the lidocain with Saran Wrap (plastic wrap), an hour before I go in, just a single thickness square and it seals it really well. Hope this helps.

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Juanita,
    Too bad I didn't read this response from you sooner! Ha ha. When I was in the chemo chair today, my nurse also told me that if I didn't have the right kind of bandage I could use saran wrap. Why didn't anyone tell me that before? Oh, well, the ice has worked also. But now I have plenty of bandages and also knowledge of saran wrap! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete