Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dave Barry again





Everyday I think of Lowell. One reason is that I start every morning with the Classic Dave Barry calendar page that he always gives me for Hanukkah. Last week there was an especially amusing one, at least to me, and probably to anyone who has ever had a dog. I have been meaning to share it with everyone, but other things have taken up the blog instead. Today, I'm going to do it!

This is from November 9:
"If a dog really likes you, he goes and gets his Special Toy. This is something that used to be a recognizable object--a stuffed animal, a basketball, a Federal Express driver--but has long since been converted, through countless hours of hard work on the dog's part, into a random wad of filth held together by seventy-three gallons of congealed dog spit. 'GIVE ME THAT!' you shout, grabbing an end of the Special Toy. This pleases the dog. It confirms his belief that his Special Toy is the most desirable item in the universe, more desirable even than the corpse of a squirrel."

I thought this was pretty cool. It really reminded me of Casey! He was a master at congealed (and uncongealed) dog spit. We had dog spit EVERYWHERE!! We also played tug with a lot of nasty "special toys."

I wrapped a lot of presents yesterday, and I will do more today. It's kind of a good feeling knowing that almost all of the holiday shopping is over. There are only a few things left to order online. We are driving up the coast tomorrow, so I will be delivering things on this visit. Fun times!

I'm not doing anything about the weight. That's so sad. Mark and I went out to lunch at the Gateway Cafe, which we often call the Upper Crust, in our neighborhood. We each had a big custom made salad and two pieces of pizza. Neither one of us needed two pieces because those pieces are BIG, but we were both especially hungry and the pizza was especially delicious. Breakfast and dinner were reasonable, and I did not snack. Tomorrow I will weigh in. I hope to keep today under control, but the day is young. LOL!!

As I already said, we are driving up the coast tomorrow to Florence, SC on our way to Baltimore. It will be nice to see every one again. I know we were just up there for the cruise not long ago, but we will be staying with Cindy this time and seeing the rest of my family for the holiday. We are also going to meet Emily's parents for the first time at a nice dinner in a restaurant Saturday night. I'm looking forward to that. I have had a few email exchanges with her mom Pat, but this will be our first face to face meeting. Can't wait.










2 comments:

  1. I hope that your solo goes very well tonight. I hope that you have a wonderful time on your visit to Emilys parents and your other family. I can't wait to hear about your solo when you have time. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    Thanks. I have been warming up and practicing today, so I hope it goes ok. I think it will be fine unless I get too nervous, which I sometimes do. It's so short that it's over before I can sing long enough to get the butterflies out. I have tonight's rehearsal, then another one the Tuesday before the show. I sing it at the show on December 2. It's the opening four lines of the song "Believe" from the movie Polar Express. I know I saw that movie, but I don't really remember the song from it.

    ReplyDelete