Friday, November 4, 2011

A sad morning




As soon as I woke up this morning, I checked Facebook on my phone and saw the sad news. Mark's former co-worker announced that her beloved husband passed away last night. He had ALS and had been fighting it bravely for a number of years. This was not unexpected news in that he had just been released from the hospital a few days ago so that he could die peacefully at home. Sharon has been a remarkably brave, strong woman throughout these past few years with him. Mark and I had the privilege and pleasure of visiting them in their beautiful Florida home just this past summer. In fact, we took him a Duffy bear, which Sharon said he liked a lot and cuddled with in his bed. That's what I do with mine! Somehow Duffy is comforting when you are ill. I'm so glad we got to go see him one last time. He was a career naval officer in the Navy band and quite a remarkable musician. Sharon will be having him buried with full military honors in Arlington Cemetery.

Sharon worked for many years in different offices with Mark at Goddard. She and Gordon attended our wedding back in 1975, the two of them came all the way up from their Florida retirement home in 2007 to attend Mark's retirement party.

Rest in peace, Chief Gordon Beckwith, 1941-2011.

Losing Mark's cousin Lisa, age 50, and now his friend Gordon, age 70, within just a few months of each other is a reminder of how precious and short life is. Lisa's husband Allen reminds us regularly on his Facebook posts how much he misses Lisa and tells everyone to be sure to tell those around you how much you love them. Don't take their presence for granted because it might be gone all too soon. He is so right.

Mark, I love you and NEVER take you for granted. I feel so blessed to have found you for my husband. No one could have a better life partner than I do. Of course, I certainly hope that everyone feels the same way about his/her own life partner!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that your friend passed away. I am glad that you reminded me to let those around me know that I love them. Like you, I am also very thankful for the husband that I have.

    I hope that you and Mark can have a good day together enjoying each others company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    Glad you liked today's blog. It's so important not to take our loved ones for granted.

    ReplyDelete