Sunday, November 20, 2011

Meeting the Parents




Lowell and Emily have been a couple for over a year, so it was time for the two sets of parents to meet at last. We had a fantastic time getting to know Pat and Phil. They live in Ellicott City, so Emily made reservations at a lovely restaurant in an historic building on Main Street. Portalli's had excellent Italian food! I also loved the atmosphere in this building, which was built in the 1700s. Main Street in Ellicott City is just one of those "must see" little streets full of buildings from the 1700s and eclectic little shops.

Our table was on the third floor of this narrow, old building. We had to walk up two long, steep flights of stairs to get there, so that was pretty interesting. Mark and I almost never go up stairs anymore in Florida! LOL! I don't know if that's good or bad, but I do know Mark is complaining his knee is hurting this morning as he goes up and down the stairs in Cindy's house.

Mark and I both had the salmon with string beans. I also ordered a side dish of spaghetti squash that was just wonderful. We all had some lovely drinks, and the conversation flowed well. I really enjoyed their company and getting to know more about them. After dinner, we all walked a block down to the Bean Hollow Coffee Shop for dessert and coffee. This was the spot where Lowell and Emily met for their first date in the fall of 2010, and then they took the Ghost Tour of old Ellicott City. Walking down to the coffee shop, we saw a crowd across the street. Lowell pointed out that they were on the Ghost Tour! I just found it absolutely delightful to see where Lowell and Emily had their first date! How cool.

Today we are heading back to Greenbelt to an Adult Ed lecture on the environment led by a friend of ours, Lore R. Then we will do some shopping and conclude the afternoon and evening at my brother Kip's house for pizza and a movie and a chance to play with his three Australian Cattle dogs, Sidney, Roux, and Wallaby.

There is only one thing that is not good. My dear cousin Irene had a stroke on Thursday and is still in the hospital. I have talked to her granddaughter and hope to go visit her tomorrow or Tuesday. They are still thinking she is going to be released tomorrow, but I will call later tonight and find out the updates. Irene is a generous, warm, loving woman. She has five children and many grand and even great-grandchildren. She is being surrounded by all of them right now, so even though I can't be there with her yet, I know she is being well cared for and receiving all the love and attention she deserves. I have included the picture that I took of her and Lowell together at Kip's house in July at Evey's wedding shower. Irene, you are in our prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures from the last two days. I am glad that you are having a good time. I hope that your cousin is in the group of people who recover very well after a stroke. If they are sending her home already it sounds like maybe she is doing pretty good. I still have to thank you for the open and honest attitude that you have about your weight. Your attitude has been a very big help to me as I've had "weight hate" issues for 21 years--ever since I had my youngest son. You help me to be a little more accepting of myself. My weight is now actually very very slowly dropping. Thank you. I will pray that the same starts happening for you. But aside from the weight concerns I am very happy that you are enjoying life and cancer-free. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,Rhonda. I got your email about your trip to Indiana. Good luck with all of the family issues and I will be waiting to hear from you when you return. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete