Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day in Solivita 11-11-11




Today is one of those "once in a hundred years" types of dates, 11-11-11. It's also Veterans Day.

Last spring, Mark and I attended the Memorial Day services where I saw the choir singing patriotic songs and the theme songs of the various military branches. I said to Mark that I wanted to do that. Well, today I got my chance. Members of the choir, Guys and Dolls, directed by Ellen Factor (standing with her back to me in blue in one of these pictures), came out today to sing the same things for the Veterans Day celebration. It was very similar to the Memorial Day salute except shorter since there were less speeches. It was a chilly morning, but there was still quite a crowd. I felt very proud to be out there singing with them.

Mark's father and my father were both in the army during WW II. Our country's freedoms have always been, and will always continue to be, won and maintained by the brave men and women in our military. They deserve all the honors they receive, and much more.

After the ceremony, Mark and I made a quick trip to Epcot for a few more foods and wines. We had a moscato from Portugal today that was very disappointing. It wasn't at all sweet. Mark also wanted to eat another Greek griddled cheese, but they were sold out. Bummer for him. The best things we had today were the pumpkin mousse and a Portuguese desert that was like a sweet egg custard in a light crust. It looked like a tart, very warm and sweet. So good! We both had a second mahi mahi for an entree. I took a second bunny chow and Mark took a second salmon for our other entree. The rest of the day was drinks and desserts. We plan to go back one final time on Sunday for just about an hour. It's the last day of the festival, then we are going to the Magic Kingdom for the Christmas Party. Sunday we plan to drink a moscato from Australia and eat maybe one more dessert. I think mine will be ice cream with Grand Marnier sauce.

We were so exhausted that we both took a forty minute nap when we got home! We're such old fogeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment