Friday, February 8, 2013

Florida Everglades

We had a BALL at the Everglades Holiday Park, home of The Gator Boys on Animal Planet. I highly recommend watching a few of their episodes. It really gives you a new respect for the alligator.

It was only about a three and a half hour drive to get to Fort Lauderdale. I was quite surprised by that.  I always think it's far to south Florida. We took the hour long airboat ride, which was one of the best we have had for sightings of alligators.  Then we went to the alligator show.  It was just like what they show on TV, but we were so close up!  That made it especially fun.

At the end I got to hold a baby alligator.  This one was named Sponge Bob.  He was pretty good sized, two years old, and very wiggly. I'm not sure he was in the mood to be held.  I loved it!  This is the third one. My first was Brutus, after the airboat on the Indian River in October of 2011.  He did NOT have his mouth taped shut.  Then I held Fluffy at Boggy Creek airboats near us and now Sponge Bob.  Both of the last two did have electrical tape on their mouths.  I'm OK with that. LOL!  Brutus was the one that the handler said was raised as a pet and watched TV with her on the couch.  She said,  "He doesn't know he's an alligator, and I don't want him to find out."

I'm posting pictures of Brutus and Sponge Bob, but I don't have a picture of me with Fluffy on the laptop to put up because they wouldn't let me use my own camera. I bought their picture. I do, however, have a picture of my brother Mark holding Fluffy!  So I put that up with my two pictures.

We also had a nice long visit with Mark's Aunt Esther and Uncle Pinky.  They look wonderful and treated us to dinner at their country club. They have lived in their beautiful Fort Lauderdale condo since 1988 as snowbirds to their home in Long island, but in 2006 they moved here permanently.  They love Florida, too.  Seriously, who doesn't love Florida?

Today we are exploring the intercoastal waterway of Fort Lauderdale on the Water Taxi, having lunch at a place called The Cheese Culture, and dinner at the Rodeway Inn with our friends Dave and Evey H. 

I kept my calories really great yesterday. I had a normal breakfast at home, Subway turkey salad for lunch, and tilapia with a dry baked potato and green beans for dinner.  I had a banana and some blueberries for snacks.  Great day!  This morning I had oatmeal with raisins and Splenda and two hard boiled eggs at the hotel breakfast.  I hope to make a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch the highest calorie meal of the day and have low cal fish and veggies for dinner at the Rodeway Inn.  There should be plenty of walking around as well.  Tomorrow we board the ship!

The finale to the gator show!

Mark calling his aunt to confirm we were on our way.

Mark with his Aunt Esther and Uncle Pinky in their beautiful condo

Me and Sponge Bob!

Me and Brutus!  Look, no tape on his mouth.
Mark and Carol with Fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment