Thursday, February 28, 2013

Do-Over

Yes, today I will have a do-over, of the bone density scan from yesterday.

When I went up for my 11 a.m. appointment, the place was a mad house.  Mark and I couldn't find two chairs together in the waiting room.  Really, I had never seen it so busy.  Even so, I was called back for my appointment about 11:35, so I thought that was pretty good.

The technician was nice and seemed to know what she was doing.  I had remembered the scan in Maryland several years ago that was just my right arm.  She said that was an old protocol and that now they scanned the lower spine and left hip.  Apparently, that's what I had done last February, although I really didn't remember it. She said she did have the results from that scan, which was done in the same location.  It was normal.

So I climbed on the table, lay still for awhile, and was all done.  Piece of cake.  I used the ladies' room, and we went off to the next errand. 

End of story?  Not at all.

Apparently, just a few minutes after 12 noon, they called Mark's cell phone.  That's the first thing.  Why his cell phone and not mine?  I had clearly filled out all their paperwork, again, showing my cell phone and my home phone.  Mark's phone was only listed on the second page as the person to contact in an emergency.  I hardly think this qualified as an emergency.

Unfortunately, Mark's cell phone was turned to silent and he didn't think to put it back to loud until around 4 p.m.  That's when he noticed the phone call and missed voice mail.  So we listened to it at that time.  It said I needed to return immediately and have another scan taken.  It said to call the office and tell them I was on my way back.  Well, not after 4 p.m.  We were already planning to go to a Shalom Club meeting at 7 p.m.  At 4 p.m. we were heading up to the gym for our weights and a 40 minute walk. 

So today I need to head back up there, without an appointment, to try to get squeezed in for a do-over.  I'm not thrilled about it, but I guess it's just one of those things.

Meanwhile, the extra weight I reported yesterday is gone.  I woke up this morning back to 266.3.  My friend Rhonda sent me an email suggesting it might have been water retention.  I guess she was exactly right.  I did eat right yesterday and I did my exercise. I also drank a lot of water.  All good.  I plan to have another good day today, including another walk if the scan doesn't take too much time out of my day.

I'm also going to my cancer support group this morning. I haven't been there in over a month, so I really wanted to attend today.  That is from 10 -11, so I will go straight to the scan after that, probably arriving up there about 11:45.  I bet it's a long wait to get a turn, but the rest of the day is pretty wide open.  I was going to hang around the pool, pending the weather, because the next few days are going to stay in the sixties, not exactly pool weather.  Today should hit 75 and sunny.  If I don't get to go to the pool today, it won't be too tragic.  It will be a good day for another 40 minute walk in any case.




2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the weight loss! I hope this comment goes through today. Have a good rest of the day. I hope you got the bone density redone alright. I thought most places double checked the pictures on all types of scans before you leave to make sure they are readable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    Looks like the comment came through just fine. Yeah, I was also surprised they didn't check while I was waiting. She missed me by about five minutes, but we were in the car and Mark's cell phone was turned off. It went fine, so I got in and out in about 20 minutes. Not bad. Thanks for the big email! Sooner or later, I'm going to type you a big long answer. Watch for it.

    ReplyDelete