Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Altitude issues

Once we drove from Anaheim, CA to Phoenix, AZ, we have been above 3300 feet or more.  I believe Tombstone was around 3500; Phoenix is like Denver in the 5,000s.  We went over some peaks in the 7,000 foot range.  Page was in the 5,000s; now we are in Williams at 6700.  Starting yesterday, I began having trouble getting a breath.  I got a headache; I feel light headed; I tire quickly; I can't seem to take a deep breath.  It's worse if I do anything like walk around.  Mark has had it, too, but mostly after he carried in luggage or in Page when he filled the tires up with air.

I read about altitude sickness, and this sounds like it.  I think I'm going to avoid going to high altitude places for any extended length of time in the future.

Yesterday we enjoyed the Powell Museum and the Glen Canyon Dam Visitor's Center.  That dam is almost as big as the Hoover dam.  Then we had a lovely drive to Williams.  Soon we are boarding the train up to the Grand Canyon for the day. 










No comments:

Post a Comment