Friday, August 2, 2013

De Young Museum

The De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park was overwhelming. It's huge and houses a large, eclectic collection of art from around the world.  Its current traveling exhibit was by the artist Diebenkorn. We did not know of him, but we enjoyed a lot of his works.  Mark also found his favorite piece, a Superman, by Mel Ramos, a California artist that he fell in love with in the art museum in Sacramento last summer.  We had lunch in the cafe, magherita flatbread pizza and tomato veggie soup.  The day was a wonderful one, all in all.

My calories yesterday were a little high.  I had a bit over 1600.  Of course, a lot of that is just estimates for the lunch food.  Maybe it's not that high; maybe it's higher. 

This morning I walked again.  Maybe because the walk was a bit more familiar I was able to walk faster.  I did my 20 minute mile!  Then I walked a bit more, lost a fraction of my speed, and ended up with 1.5 miles in 30:31.  I'm quite pleased with myself.  Around 10 a.m. Mark and I are walking up to Evey's gym.  It's about half a mile each way.  We can pay $5 each to use the weight machines in the gym.  That should be fun. 

I am eating my normal breakfast here at Evey's house.  For lunch, which will also be at home, I'm having a reduced fat Pepper Jack cheese sandwich on low cal bread and some salad.  Then dinner is at a restaurant.  Around 4 p.m. we are all driving to Sonora, CA, about two hours from here, near the entrance to Yosemite. We are checking into a cheap motel and having dinner in Sonora at a place AAA recommended called The Diamondback Grille.  Sounds nice.

Our weekend plans include Mono Lake, Bodie (a well-preserved ghost town of an old gold mining town), and many of the big sights of Yosemite: Half Dome, El Capitan, Bridal Veil Falls, and others. It should be a fantastic weekend full of natural beauty and old west history.  Something for everybody!  We are packing our breakfast and lunch to eat tomorrow, but the rest of the meals will be in restaurants.  I'm going to do my best.  There should also be a significant amount of walking involved, which I hope saves me in the calorie department.

Enjoy a few pictures from yesterday. 






The Superman by Mel Ramos.

There was an outdoor sculpture garden.  This was called Aluminum Rock.  Hm...duh.



Safety Pin.  Yeah.

Guess the name.  Yeah, Apples.  Mark said it should have been called Snow White's Worst Nightmare.

A Death Star?


Musician with a Gourd.  I'm always a sucker for something musical.



Chihully glass

I was impressed with this massive piece.  Made by an artist from Ghana to resemble Kenta Cloth, it's made from the metal wrappers around the necks of liquor bottles.

Another musical thing: a slit drum from Papua, New Guinea.



A Colt pistol made by Colt!



The front of Evey's house after we got home.

Beautiful flowers in the front.

She gave us a key to the house.  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment