Friday, August 30, 2013

Writing from home

We got home quite later than we anticipated.  We landed promptly about 4:15, but by the time we got our baggage, used the lavatory, caught the shuttle to our car, drove to the Publix out by Disney because it's the only one with kosher meat now, drove home, unpacked, and cooked dinner, it was 9 p.m.   We are both exhausted but happy.  It was a great trip, but it's also great to be home.

On our last day of touring yesterday we took it easy.  We drove around parts of the old historic area of Flagstaff and then went to the Pioneer Museum.  We had lunch at a local restaurant called Josephine's and then headed to Phoenix.  By 3:30 we were checking in to the Comfort Inn.  The man at the front desk told us that a big dust storm and thunderstorm was predicted to hit between 5 and 6 p.m., so we should plan to be indoors at that time.  We took him at his word, so we went out Denny's and got dinner to go.  The storm never happened, no dust, no rain, nothing.  I was disappointed because I wanted to see a giant dust cloud envelope the city, safely from my third floor window in the hotel.  About a week before, there was a big dust storm.  It was on the news, so I thought it would be fun to experience.  Oh, well...not this time.

Tomorrow we plan to go to the gym and take a walk.  That is IT!  I think we deserve a day of rest.  What a great time we had.  Now we have already started planning next summer's trip, South Dakota, Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wounded Knee....ooo, I can hardly wait.

Tomorrow morning I will step on the scale.  I can hardly wait, but I will scream if I've gained weight.  When I left Evey's, I thought I had already lost about 2-3 pounds.  I am hoping I kept them off.  Dare I hope for any more loss?  We will see.

Here are a few pictures from our last day of touring.

Mark by restored giant wheels for logging

Flagstaff Visitor's Center is still in the original train depot.  Amtrak is still here, too!

Pioneer Museum is a work in progress in the old building that used to be a hospital for the poor.

An historic hotel in the old section of Flagstaff

Cabin on the grounds of the museum

No comments:

Post a Comment