Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!






Yesterday Evey made me cupcakes for my birthday!  I had no idea she was going to make them spell out my number.  How cute.  There's actually two cupcakes missing from this picture.  She made one special one for Eric because he doesn't like mocha.  These are chocolate cupcakes with mocha frosting, but she made him one with just chocolate frosting.  There is also one special one for me with a giant fancy swirl of frosting on it.  I'm sure it has twice the calories, but I'm eating it tonight anyway.  Someone told me that calories don't count on your birthday.  I hope they are right.

This morning I got on Evey's old bathroom scale. It's the ancient, spring-type scale that we used in our house for decades before I bought the digital one I use now.  As I recall, it always shows about six pounds lighter than other scales.  Even if I add back six pounds, it said I was 251 this morning.  If it's correct, it means I've lost 3.8 pounds since we flew to California.  Oh MY!  I hope that's right! 

This week has been great.  We ate well and exercised a LOT.  Tomorrow we take an early train to Anaheim and most meals will be in restaurants for the next three weeks with less opportunity for exercise.  I will have to try extra hard to make good choices in the restaurants and work in some exercise whenever possible.

Evey took me to her Zumba class last night.  We walked the half mile up and back. It was easy going up, but after dancing for an hour, I really CRAWLED home, stiff and sore.  This was Evey's third time in the class.  She looked GREAT!  She's also one of the youngest in the class. I never tried Zumba before, but it was a lot of fun. I didn't get all the steps right, but I stayed on my feet and kept moving for the entire hour. 

Today we are spending my birthday mostly doing chores. I have to do laundry so we can start off for Anaheim with only clean clothes in the suitcase.  On our first day here I broke Evey's shredder, so we are going out to buy her a replacement.  Mark's shoes are shot and mine aren't much better.  We are going to try to buy ourselves new sneakers before the rest of the trip.  Also, Mark is out of test strips for his blood sugar monitor, so that's another stop. 

Once all the chores are done and Evey and Eric are home from work, the fun will begin.  I decided to have a home cooked meal for my birthday.  Why go out when I'm going to eat out for the next three weeks?  Plus, they have a big grill and new patio furniture!  We are grilling kosher hamburgers (veggie burger for Evey) and corn on the cob.  There will also be salad and fresh string beans.  The cupcakes and ice cream will finish the night.  Yum. I'm looking forward to it. I think there are also some presents and cards to open.  The best present of all is spending the time with Evey and Eric in their house.  What a gift to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment