Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tombstone, Day Two

Our second day was equally successful, but it was also tiring.  We started with laundry, then wandered around the graves in Boot Hill for an hour, ate a quick lunch from Subway in our room, then spent about five hours in Tombstone touring lots of museums, even catching a stage coach ride and a ghost tour.  Exhausting!  There was a Jewish cemetery in Boot Hill.  It was the 1980s before it was discovered and marked.  A Yaqui Indian decided to make it known to the public, and erected a monument and a fence with the help of Jewish Retirement home in a town about 100 miles away.  That was worth the extra walk in the heat to see.

I seriously overate at dinner.  Breakfast was in the hotel, so I had 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of dry wheat toast, and 4 ounces of cranberry juice.  Excellent.  Lunch was a double turkey Subway salad and Baked Lays that we had bought the day before and ate in our room.  Excellent.  I also had some fresh cherries with lunch.  In the afternoon I wanted ice cream because Wyatt Earp was known to love ice cream and eat it all the time in Tombstone. (One thing I never learned was how they made it in the 1880s.  Where was all that ice coming from?)  So the ice cream parlor we thought we were going to was gone.  The next store we tried was out of no sugar ice cream for Mark.  We ended up at a Frozen Yogurt place where you put it in the cup yourself.  It's just too easy to put too much in there.  When they weighed it, it came up 9.5 ounces.  And Mark didn't take any of the no sugar praline anyway because he realized he didn't have a lactaid with him.  So I ate my bowl of yogurt by myself.

Ah, dinner!  It was so delicious, but not low cal.  I had a cup of black bean soup, one of my favorite things.  The non-meat choices were few in the Longhorn restaurant, so we each ordered the fried cod.  I had a dry baked potato and broccoli.  We never eat fried fish anymore, so we were both oohing and aahing over how delicious it was.  I'm pretty sure my calories totalled to 2,200 yesterday. 

I walked about 2-3 hours total, which burned up some of it.  Still, Lose It! said I was over by about 400.  Sigh.  Hopefully, it won't undo anything I've been doing.

There will be much less walking today.  We have about 265 miles to dry to Wickenburg.  On the way we are going to the Saguaro National Park.  I can get my national park passport stamp and hopefully snap a few photos of some giant saguaros.  Then off to Wickenburg.  Tonight we have two things that we want to see there that are outdoors, no admission fees, and don't close.  Easy peasy.

Enjoy the last of the Tombstone pictures.

The short drive from our hotel to downtown goes past this sign every day.  Nice.
Fortunately, the Fluff and Fold was right next door to Boot Hill.



Heath masterminded a robbery with several other guys.  He had an alibi and did not participate in the actual murders and robbery.  The job went bad and many died, including a pregnant teenager, incensing the town.  Because Heath wasn't really there, he had a separate trial and got a 30 year jail sentence.  The townsfolk weren't having that.  they stormed him out of the County Courthouse that we saw and hung him from a telegraph pole a block down the street.

The three graves from the OK Corral shoot out.

The Jewish cemetery
Walking to the Jewish cemetery.

Cochise County Courthouse








No comments:

Post a Comment