Thursday, August 1, 2013

California!

Our flight yesterday was very smooth and arrived early! Once we got our rental car, a gray Toyota Corolla this time, we drove first to a town called Colma, CA, where the population is over a million, but only 3,000 are living.  It's mostly HUGE cemeteries!  LOL!

Evey told Mark that Wyatt Earp was buried in a Jewish cemetery there, so we went off to find it.  It wasn't hard to find.  His common law wife of 46 years, Josie Marcus, had him cremated and then buried in her family plot.  He died in 1929 and she was buried next to him after her death in 1944.  The original grave marker was stolen in 1957, so the one we saw was the replacement. It was quite beautiful.  This was a good start to the western history part of our tour.

Then we had a Subway lunch and headed to Evey and Eric's new house.  I didn't take very many pictures of it last night.  I had such a great time seeing them both that I just didn't even remember to get the camera out! 

I ate a huge breakfast yesterday because we got veggie breakfast burritos in the airport to eat on the plane. I estimated those calories at 620.  We had our usual Subway lunch, but I also had croutons with it which added 120 calories.  Mark made a tilapia panini sandwich for dinner.  Hm...it was YUMMY!  I had that with steamed broccoli and salad, bringing my day's total calories to 1433.  I didn't really exercise at all, but I should be fine anyway.

We shopped for groceries with Evey yesterday afternoon, so my breakfast here at her house will be the same as at home.  Mark is making our usual pasta sauce with Griller burgers and Parmesan cheese on actual whole wheat pasta for dinner.  There is also leftover salad.  That will make my dinner calories come to 485.  We are eating lunch out, so I have between 650-800 calories for lunch even if I eat a banana for a snack at night. 

I went out and walked this morning at 6:45 a.m.  I was glad I brought my heavy Mickey Mouse hoodie because it was only 55 degrees!  At the last minute I put one pair of long pants in the overstuffed suitcase.  Thank goodness.  I was comfortable walking in the long pants and hoodie, but I would have been freezing in my usual outfit of t-shirt and shorts!  It's harder to walk fast in unfamiliar territory.  Evey told me a good route, so I took that and then branched off down a few other neighborhood streets.  She lives in a very pretty neighborhood.  I walked 1.41 miles in 31:35 minutes and burned 126 calories.

What I'm really excited about is that we are now on day two of the vacation, and I'm still maintaining control over my eating and exercising.

Today we are driving up to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco to go the De Young Art Museum.  We saw it last year when we were there and decided to do it this year.  We like art museums!  They have a cafeteria, so that is our plan for lunch.  I'm sure I can find a lunch in the 650-800 calorie range if I'm careful.  Also there will be lots of walking around the museum.

Should be another great day on vacation!

Here are a few pictures of Wyatt Earp's grave and Evey's kitchen.

We were surprised that Wyatt Earp, a non Jew, was allowed to be buried in this Jewish cemetery.

Josie's family was from San Francisco, so she had him buried there.

Mark added a little rock to the headstone to show he had visited.

We gave Eric this cow bowl, which we bought at the gift shop outside the Twister attraction in Universal Studios, FL.  He is eating Evey's homemade ice cream.  She made it for my birthday, so I'm going to wait until then to have some.

Mark and Evey cleaning up after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment