Thursday, August 15, 2013

Orioles and Diamondbacks

Our main event yesterday was going to see the Orioles play the Diamondbacks, here in Phoenix at Chase Field.  The Ds beat the Os in all three games.  Sweep, sweep, sweep!  Oh, well...they fought hard.  Yesterday's game went fourteen innings.

The stadium is a beautiful one, with a ceiling that can open up.  When we watched the game, it was closed, and the stadium was delightfully air conditioned.  When the game ended, we were able to watch it be opened up!  That was pretty exciting because we didn't know it opened at all. What a shock!

Mark picked this Super 8 Motel because it was conveniently located to many of the sights we want to visit.  It was just a bit over half a mile, so we walked.  The trick was that it was 11:55 a.m. and 106 degrees.  We wore hats, carried water, and stayed in the shade when possible.  There was a breeze blowing, and it was a nice walk.  We enjoyed it.  When we walked back, at 5:30 p.m., the sun wasn't as strong, even though it was 108 degrees.  It actually felt fine both ways. 

Today we are going to two huge museums that are only a half mile apart.  We will drive to them because it's just about two miles from here, a bit too far to do in the heat.  The first is the Phoenix Art Museum, which includes a cowboy art gallery. The second is the Heart Museum, 11 galleries of Native American art.  Both have delightful cafes, so we will have a special lunch in one or the other.  I'm leaning toward the Heard's cafe because they have a tepary bean hummus wrap with grilled veggies and smoked Gouda.  I never heard of tepary beans, but I read a lot about them last night.  They are thousands of years old, native to Mexico and the American Southwest.  Along with squash and corn, they have been the principal diet of Native Americans for thousands of years.  How have I never heard of this before?  I really want that wrap, even though the beans are all crushed and smushed up into hummus.  I like hummus!  I'll let you know what we eat.

Yesterday I did one bad thing.  We got a bag of peanuts in the shell.  It was a 16 ounce bag, and I estimated that I ate five ounces, 800 calories. Yikes.  To compensate for that I changed up my Denny's dinner to a custom Grand Slam of four scrambled egg whites, fresh fruit, and grits without butter.  That came to 365 calories.  My day's calories were 1787, not losing on that but hopefully not gaining on it either.  At least I walked to and from the stadium!

Here are a few pictures from Disney's California Adventure and the baseball game.
















No comments:

Post a Comment