Saturday, August 30, 2014

NARFE Convention was great.

We came back yesterday afternoon from our week at the National NARFE Convention at the Rosen Center in Orlando.  The hotel is magnificent, and the pool was as much fun as I had hoped it would be.  I was able to go to it on two different occasions.  We also ate a meal in every restaurant in the place.  The Everglades might become our new favorite fancy restaurant.  It had great Florida Everglades decor and wonderful fish dishes. 

I sang my three songs.  I felt like I did a great job on the National Anthem. I did pretty well on "Golden Dreams."  I was in good voice, but I had not attempted to memorize the song.  I knew it well, but I brought the words up with me. Then at one point, I had been looking out at the audience, forgot the next line, couldn't find my place in the text when I looked down, missed a few words, and finally got a few of them out.  Mark noticed, but he said it wasn't too bad.  Probably felt worse to me than to the audience. I received a lot of compliments afterwards.  As for "God Bless America,"  I did it well, but it seemed irrelevant.  The convention host called me up to sing late in the evening after dinner and dancing.  Half the group was gone and the other half was standing up, milling around and talking.  I don't think too many were listening or cared.  Oh, well...not really my problem.

Other than that, it was an interesting convention.  It's great to learn more and get inspired to work for the benefits of the active and retired federal employees.  I know Mark came away with renewed interest in working.  Also, it was fun to hang out with our friends from the Plant City Strawberry Chapter.

Yesterday, when we left the convention, we went to Guest Services at Downtown Disney to get our Annual Passes fixed.  She was GREAT!  She easily fixed the expiration date and made it August 13, like it was supposed to be.  Also she found another, potentially BIGGER, problem.  The other girl had tied both of the passes to Mark's account and finger print.  My pass would not have even gotten me into the park.  Ridiculous!  So we were very glad we went to DTD to fix it.  The lesson learned is that we will always go to DTD Guest Services for pass renewals from now on.

I gained two pounds while we were gone.  Then today I did nothing to help that.  This week we will eat a few meals out, but mostly we are eating at home.  That should help.  Then next week we are on a cruise!  hahah!  We all know how that will go!




No comments:

Post a Comment