Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Surgery day

This afternoon I have my surgery appointment to have the cyst finally removed from my back.  The stitches will stay in 10 days, and then I'll finally be cleared to go back in a pool or hot tub.  Yay!  I'll be glad to have this finally gone.

Meanwhile the dull ache in my left hip area is still with me.  It's been over a week, but the stiffness that I woke up with last Wednesday is better.  Last night Mark suggested I pump up the bed.  We have an old sleep number bed, which is essentially a glorified air mattress. I pumped it up a lot more. I do think it helped and that's partially why I wasn't as stiff this morning.  Clearly the bed does not stay full of air like it used to.  I bet it's got a small leak, and that's another reason why it should be replaced.

Because the ache in the hip is constant, and sometimes feels worse with too much moving, I am still worried about it being something serious.  I am now able to log into my doctor's office on their website and view my chart.  I logged in this morning and saw that the xray results were in.  I was almost too nervous to open it up and read it, but I clicked on it anyway.  Nothing.  It just said that I had an xray on Friday.  Yuh, think?  I already knew that.  Where's the radiologist's report?  So, I sent the doctor an email through their site and requested the results.  I will give her two days to get back to me via email and on Friday afternoon I will call and ask.  I have to say I was disappointed with that patient portal.

We had a lovely time yesterday.  We went to the book talk on Dan Brown's Inferno, which we had read in preparation.  That was excellent and very timely since it deals with a mad scientist releasing a viral epidemic on the world.  It's going to be a movie with Tom Hanks, so that should be exciting.  Then we had our company over around 6 p.m.  It rained, so we didn't eat in the succah, but we sure had fun catching up with Jonathan and Susan.  We had not seen them since June.

Back in Maryland, we had a huge succah that could seat up to 12 people.  Every night for the seven nights we had company for dinner, often the full complement of 12 for dinner.  We would go to work all day and come home and make a big dinner for 12....seven nights in a row.  Well, some years we would get invited to someone else's succah one or two nights, but it was still a lot of people and a lot of cooking during that week. Crazy.  After having just dinner for 4 two nights in a row, Mark and I both said we couldn't have had a third group tonight.  And we didn't even go to work all day first.  Our age is catching up to us in that respect.  At least he can still BUILD it!  

I did eat way too much.  My calories were around 2850, and the day before when Ed and Susie were here, I had 2500.  Naturally I'm up three pounds to 269 this morning.  Ridiculous.  I even programmed the Lose It! app with what I was going to eat, but then I ate a lot more and also foods that I forgot were going to be there.  So on each day with company I ate well over 1,000 calories MORE than I planned to eat.  Lack of control....yes, that's my hallmark.

No company today.  Back to normal today.  I have planned the day's calories at 1300 today. 

Tomorrow I will tell you if I was successful.

The Orioles....UGH.  Lost the third game in a row to Kansas City last night.  Now they are in the unenviable position of having to win the next FOUR games straight.  I must say I do not hold out any hope that it will happen.  In fact, if "let the best man (or team) win" applies here, then go Royals.  They have clearly been the best team so far in this match up.  Sad, but true.


No comments:

Post a Comment