Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day to me and all moms and those who serve as moms.

Yesterday was my mother's birthday, May 9.  She was born in Lonaconing, MD, the seventh child of a coal miner and his wife, Joseph Morton and Anna Green Morton.  My mother, Ruth Mary Mayforth Morton Meese, would have been 90 yesterday, but unfortunately, she died at age 58 in 1983.  I was only 33, and I still think of her and miss her every day.  She was a nurse and loved people.  She was the most generous person I ever met.  Happy Mother's Day to you, my dear Mother.

As I was growing up, I had a strong desire to be a mother myself.  I guess many women can relate to that.  I am very thankful and blessed to have met Mark, made a long term happy marriage with him, and had my two fabulous children.  Being a mother is hard work and probably no one feels they ever get it exactly right.  I know I often think of things I should have or should not have done, things that could have been done better.  I'm sure I'm not alone in that.  Still, I would not change any of it.  I love my kids more than life.  Lowell and Evey are the reason I can celebrate this day.  Thanks to Mark, too, because I did not become a mother all by myself.  LOL!

Right now I'm going to eat my special Mother's Day breakfast made for me by my fabulous husband.  He got up extra early to make this special breakfast: French toast with honey orange topping,  scrambled eggs, chocolate raspberry oatmeal, and coffee.  What a guy!  Plus,  all the recipes came from the Diabetic Living magazine, so even the calories aren't bad.  Total of only 556 calories for breakfast.  Couldn't do that in a restaurant.  I say again, what a guy!

Now I'm done eating.  It was spectacular!  Then I opened my presents.  Mark made me the great breakfast, obviously, but he also bought me a hand carved armadillo that I was admiring in one of the antique stores in Plant City on Thursday.  It is adorable and has a hidden, mirrored drawer.  Evey sent a beautiful card and the serving pieces to my dairy flatware that is from Disney with little Mickey head cutouts in the handles. Also, she and Eric together sent me a headphone splitter so that Mark and I can watch a movie on the train or in an airplane and each wear both ears of the headphones instead of sharing one ear piece each from one set.  What an invention!  I put it right into my computer bag so when we travel it will be there for us to use.  Thanks, Evey and Eric!

After breakfast and the presents, we went out for a walk, just fifteen minutes to help burn off some carbs and calories.  When we came back, I got in the shower.  When I got out, Mark was holding another box for me that had just arrived.  A beautiful bouquet of flowers, a vase, a card, and a box of chocolates from Lowell and Emily.  Now my day is complete!

Later today Mark has a haircut scheduled at Nature Hair, so we will be heading over to the Cove for another delightful day at the pool.  That's a great way to spend Mother's Day in my opinion.

Weight-wise, this has not been a good week for me.  I didn't hide the scale, so I got on every day.  I went over my calories by a teeny bit on Tuesday, but the sodium count was high, so I gained two pounds that day.  Thursday was a horrible day for calories at the picnic and the restaurant in Plant City, so I was up another one.  Friday and Saturday were good, so I dropped some, but I'm still up one pound from Monday's weigh in.  With any luck and a lot of exercise today, I can drop that one and call this week a wash.  A far cry from the two pounds a week that I WANT to lose.  Of course, I will post the weight for tomorrow's weigh in.

Meanwhile, I hope all mothers everywhere are having as great a day as I am.










No comments:

Post a Comment