Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day and second day Shavuot

Mark is reading the haftarah portion this morning, so we cannot stay too long at home.  We can't be late to shul this morning!

Because it's the second day of Shavuot, it means we will say the Yizkor service today.  That's an interesting juxtaposition of holidays since Yizkor is a memorial service for the dead.  I wonder how often it comes out on Memorial Day?

We had a great crowd Saturday night for the SOJC Shavuot service and 9 stayed all the way to the end, which ended up being AFTER midnight!  That's the latest the shul has EVER gone.  Mark was very, very pleased.  Then we stayed up until dawn at home.  Well, he stayed up.  I stayed in the chair, but I was pretty much sleeping from 3:30 to 6:30!  At 6:30 I ate a half a bagel and went to bed, sleeping until noon.  Mark slept until about 3 p.m.  It really makes the whole day a little out of sorts when you stay up all night like that.

Weight has been terrible this week.  I had some good days and days with exercise, but starting Friday there has been no exercise and lots of overeating.  I was not surprised to find that I had gained three pounds for the week.  I am 275.4 this morning.  Clearly, I am not going to make my goal of 240 or even 250 by the time we fly to Hawaii.  Since we got home from Maryland, I have now lost only 8 pounds.  That's 8 pounds in six and a half weeks.  Not too good.

Well, today begins a new week.  Today I start over.  I will eat all my meals at home, no unplanned snacks, but probably no exercise either.  I am going to shul and then going to play Mah Jonng.  Tonight we will be home watching TV.  Tomorrow we will eat lunch and dinner out because we are going to Sea World all day with Rudy.  At least there will be miles and miles of walking to help with the eating.

Evey and Eric's trip to Peru is almost over.  They are flying from Arequipa this morning to Lima.  Then tomorrow evening they leave Lima and end up at home on Wednesday.  It's a long flight for them from Lima to Newark to San Francisco, then an hour drive home from the airport. I hope they are up for it. Yesterday she texted me off and on most of the day.  They both got very, very sick with what was probably food poisoning.  They were supposed to hike down into a canyon, which they did.  The hike was much more dangerous and difficult than they anticipated, taking five and a half hours.  They were both feeling poorly before they started.  They had a meal at the base of the canyon and then decided not to stay and hike the next day down in there.  Instead they rode a farm bus back to the top and spend all day yesterday being sick in their hotel.  I haven't heard from them today, but last night she reported they were both feeling better at last.  So sorry to hear their trip ended on a sour note.

I also finished my jigsaw puzzle yesterday.  Georganne gave me two puzzles for Hanukkah on the last Hanukkah that she was alive.  I finally finished the first of the two.  These were similar to the one that Emily gave me a few years ago.  When you finish the murder mystery puzzle, you read a booklet and try to figure out who did it.  Fun.  I read the booklet when I finished, but I did not figure out who did it!  This booklet didn't tell either.  I have to log in to their website to find out.  This one was a lot of fun to do.  Now my dilemma is which one to do next!





No comments:

Post a Comment