Monday, December 26, 2011

The Day After is Day Six.





For most people the main event is over. Christmas has come and gone; now it's the day after Christmas, good for returning unwanted items and searching for post-Christmas bargains. For us, it's Day Six of Hanukkah, and I wouldn't be caught DEAD near any mall or store!

Our plans today are again low-key. Mark got a gadget that converts VHS tapes to digital, so we want to find some of the old home movies and start turning them into digital chips to preserve and share. There are so many old videos of our kids and our family vacations that we haven't seen in years! Now we are worried about two things: we won't be able to find them, or they won't play anymore when we do. It's definitely time to get started on that.

Last night our friend Rudy gave us a Panama Mola cloth. It's a traditional art form in Panama made by the Kuna Indians. I'm going to use mine for a challah cover. It's gorgeous and in my favorite colors. Fantastic. Thanks, Rudy.

Mark was happy to get his annual Star Trek calendar, and he gave me a cover for my Kindle Fire. Very nice all around.

We still have two more nights of presents to do. That's exciting. Over the years, I really appreciated having eight nights of unwrapping gifts. I thought for kids it's a good lesson in delayed gratification. They would see the big pile of presents on the table and only be allowed to open one or two each night. That also meant they devoted hours of attention and play to each item. Every present got a full 24 hours to be special and new before the next new thing was unwrapped. I think that's a good thing.

Finally, we did enjoy the Chinese restaurant in our neighborhood. It's now called Asian Diner and has been open only five months. They are much better than their predecessor. Mark and I were not the only ones in there. There was a Hispanic family that included a grandmother, parents, and several children, including one in a stroller. There was another couple that Mark and I felt sure were Jewish, and there was us. At least two different people came in to pick up carry-out orders while we there, too. Next week they are getting their liquor license, so it will be even more fun to go there in the future. Mark got a tofu and vegetables in spicy brown sauce which was fantastic. I will definitely get that next time we go. Of course, Chinese food is not good for weight loss, so I'm up two and a half pounds today. It's probably the sodium content. We do plan to go to the gym for weight routines and do some walking today, and I hope to see those extra pounds gone by tomorrow. Still, it's not looking too good for weigh-in Wednesday this week. I bet I'm going to have to say I'm staying the same, and that's not good! OY! In just one week from today I get on the cruise ship with my friend Barbara. I'm still carrying the ten pounds from the cruise in October and the five pounds from the trip up north for Thanksgiving and out west to visit Eric and Evey. Sigh. I'm not doing well at all with weight loss. There's been no weight lost in a long time! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment