Saturday, August 4, 2012

Following up on Mark's progress

Yesterday Mark woke up with no pain at all, but then he started to feel some twinges as the day wore on, especially if he twisted in certain ways or took deep breaths.  During the day we both got haircuts and he picked up his new glasses.  He can finally SEE again!

Last night we both through all of our common sense right out the window and went to the All-You-Can-Eat Pasta dinner special at Lakeside.  Why?  Who knows!  Our senses had already flown out of the window.  We had bread, salad, and two and a half plates of pasta each.  The restaurant had four sauces (three of them vegetarian) and five pastas.  You could mix and match and eat all you want.  My first plate was cheese ravioli with vodka sauce while Mark had Linguine Alfredo.  Then I had penne pasta with spicy Thai peanut sauce while Mark had cheese tortellini with vodka sauce.  I ordered cheese tortellini Alfredo last and shared it with Mark.  We both agreed that the Alfredo sauce was our favorite.  Then I really did myself in with the warm blueberry cobbler and ice cream. 

Well, it should have been no surprise that we both are in trouble this morning.  Because of the dye used in the CT scans on Thursday, Mark was told to skip his Metformin for the diabetes for 48 hours, until Saturday night. With only his Glipizide, the pasta shot his blood sugar to 306 last night!  YIKES!!  In his whole life he only went over 300 one other time, decades ago, before he was on Metformin.  So last night he started drinking a lot of water and did some walking around, working it down from 270 to 240 by midnight when he went to bed.  At bedtime he took his Glipizide and was only 213 when he got up. He still didn't like that number, so he drank a glass of water and the two of us went out and took a 25 minute walk to try to burn off some more sugar.  It didn't budge.  He was 215 when he got back. He has decided to keep drinking lots of water, eat only one piece of string cheese for breakfast, and go to the pool to do 20-25 minutes of water aerobics. He's hoping to be around 170 or so before he eats any lunch.  At least tonight he can take the Metformin and get back on track.

Unfortunately, now that his stomach is full and taut from the cheese and 32 ounces of water, he can feel the pain again.  It's not intense like Thursday, but something is definitely going on.  He has a follow up appointment with our family doctor a week from Monday.  I'm sure she will want to order some more tests, but they will have to wait until we get back on September 11 from our western trip.

As for me, I'm up two and a half pounds today, but I'm not surprised after what I ate yesterday.  I am eating all three meals at home today, I already walked 25 minutes, and I'm about to go swimming. I bet I drop them by tomorrow morning!

Our only plan for today was to go to shul this morning and then watch a lot of TV all afternoon and evening.  Now we are skipping the shul in favor of extra exercise this morning.  I think that's the right thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment