Friday, August 17, 2012

Viva Las Vegas!

Except for going to bed at 11 p.m. and getting up at 3 a.m. to hit the road by 4, yesterday was fantastic!

Our flights out of Orlando and Memphis were both flawless yesterday, on time, good weather, not bumpy.  We were very happy with Delta.  I snoozed solidly for the ninety minutes to Memphis, but that kept me going the rest of the day. I watched The Avengers on the video during the three and a half hours to Vegas.

It took us way too long to get the rental car.  We chose Fox Rental, which is in Florida and out west.  Using Orbitz, they beat everybody else's price.  I knew they were off property, so first we had to take the shuttle to the airport rental building and then another shuttle to their building.  That went smoothly, but it was about a 20 minute ride to their building.  The check in went well, but as always with car rentals, there is lots of requests from them to buy services and insurance you don't want.  We held tight, but they still got us by tacking on a previously undisclosed drop off charge of  $90. because we are leaving it in San Jose, CA and a $100 security deposit, which Mark is sure will never be refunded.  Our 25 day car rental went from $814 to 1017.  So be it.

Then it took an HOUR for them to produce a car.  I actually think the man who was supposed get it for us just forgot us.  I wanted a Ford Fusion because I'm vaguely interested in buying one in the future, so I thought it would be fun to try it out.  He said a silver had just been returned and he wold send it through the car wash and call us.  Then an hour later, I get his attention.  He seemed startled to see us, but presented us with a 2010 black Fusion. OK. I started to drive it away and noticed it had a warning light for low tire pressure showing. I turned around and spoke to him again.  He said no problem, take one of these two blue ones over here.  I did and it's fine, but if there was a black one and two blue ones on the lot, why did I have to wait an hour for a nonexistent silver one.

After that the hotel, lunch, museum, dinner and show were all great. I have to run now to go to the Hoover Dam. I'll tell you more later and hopefully get some pictures up also.

No comments:

Post a Comment