Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Paying the Piper

Oh, yes, the piper always collects his due.  In this case, I'm talking about the payment that I have to make for all that fun I had this week.  The payment is in pounds, as in UP six and a half pounds in one week to 258.5 this morning.  Oh, yes, I paid the piper in pounds for the fun.  I now weigh more than I did when we came back from our Maryland trip in July. I didn't reach my goal of losing 10 pounds before the trip out west. In fact, I have now just gained one instead.  I have one more week before we leave.

Well, I have no one to blame but myself.  Let's review what I did this week:

Last Wednesday: I weighed in at down one pound to 252, pretty good.  I ate well that day, but I talked about the blister on my toe and needing new shoes again.

Thursday: I took Mark to the ER, but first we had a nice lunch out at Outback and then dinner at Ruby Tuesday. 

Friday: Oh, Friday!  All you can eat Pasta dinner at Lakeside was delicious, but I was up two and a half the next morning, a down payment to the piper.

Saturday: We exercised all day, walking and swimming, trying to help Mark get his blood sugar down. I ate all my meals at home, and that's the only day all week I can say that.  I didn't do too badly this day, but not one pound was returned from the piper.

Sunday:  We had hot dogs in the car driving to the ballgame. I had a giant soft pretzel at the stadium and a huge dinner at Sweet Tomatoes.  Lots of calories that day.

Monday:  This was my birthday with a huge breakfast buffet and a big dinner at Mama Melrose.  The piper is licking his lips thinking about all the payment he's collecting.

Tuesday:  Yesterday I ate lunch out, a veggie burger and fries.  Dinner was home, so that was a salad and a lo-cal TV dinner, but I had my birthday cupcake from the breakfast buffet, an ice cream sandwich, half a banana, a slab of watermelon, and a spoonful of peanut butter as TV snacks.

In every week there are 21 meals.  This past week I ate 9 of those meals in restaurants.  That's not as many as on a vacation when all 21 are eaten out, but I ate way too much at each of those and sometimes too many snacks at home at night.

So there you go Mr. Piper!  You got six and a half pounds in payment for all my fun this week.

Mark got his filling put back fairly easily yesterday, although it did take nearly three hours in total at the dentist. I got a cleaning, but today I have to go see the endodontist about the two teeth under the bridge.  It's just a consultation to see if there's any point in trying to save these teeth or if they just need to be pulled. I  also want to know if this can all wait until mid to late September since we leave next Thursday for Nevada.

I bought a new pair of New Balance sneakers yesterday at Sports Authority. I first went to a sport store here in Poinciana because I heard they sold New Balance.  They do, but they don't carry wide.  I tried Payless, same story.  What?  I'm the only wide footed woman in Poinciana? Ridiculous.

So we drove up to The Loop and went to Sports Authority.  Guess what?  They don't carry wide for women either.  I was stunned. I have bought sneakers before and there used to be wide.  Now they don't bother stocking it anymore.  Thanks a lot, all you sports stores, for assuming wide footed women don't want good walking shoes.

I bought a pair of regular width New Balance running shoes because they seemed to fit ok.  They are light weight and hold the orthotics.  I won't know if something is rubbing my toe until I walk a whole day in them.  At least that's how it worked with the Dr. Scholl's.  At least they were on sale for only $50, and I also bought some special (read "expensive:") socks for plantar fasciitis.  They have some padded support in them.  I will wear both today and see how it goes.  Sadly, this pair is made in Vietnam.  Mark had researched what sneakers are made in the USA and only New Balance makes that claim.  Unfortunately, not all pairs.  There was a pair made in the USA sitting out as the sample. It was the same color and style as the ones I bought but not my size.  What?  The same style and color but mine are made in Vietnam.  Go figure.

Then the real news is that we are going to the Tampa area late this afternoon for a two night stay in a Comfort Suites over there as we  go to a little resort.  We will be laying around a pool and eating.  Wait, that's what I do HERE!  Well, now we can pay extra money to eat all of our meals out, sleep in a hotel, and swim in a strange pool.  In their defense, they claim to have a nature trail, so I will walk that in my new New Balance shoes and see how it goes.  We are returning in time to have Shabbat dinner Friday night at home. 

I'm taking my laptop, so there will be blogs while we're gone.  I might even take my scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment