Sunday, December 16, 2012

Grand Turk and a beautiful day at sea

Carnival Valor, the last two days, Grand Turk and at sea
Dec. 14 and 15, posted from home on Dec. 16.

We sailed into Grand Turk around 11 a.m.  It was incredibly beautiful, with clear blue water.  Grand Turk Cruise Center is a big area built by Carnival, sort of like some of the other ships’ private islands.  It had a beautiful beach with complimentary lounge chairs and a huge pool with chairs for everyone to use.  There were also many shops as well as a Margaritaville. 

First we stayed on the ship for awhile to use the pool and hot tub when most people were off the ship.  We also ate a light lunch before going to the beach.

Once we got out on the beach, it was heavenly.  We found two loungers in the shade of the palm trees.  I swam twice in the clear blue water, with the ship right in view.  Amazing.  Mark strolled up and down the beach a long way, which he likes to do, and then read and napped on the chaise lounge.  Eventually I joined him.  What a fantastic day!  I would love to come back to Grand Turk some day.

Back on board, we got ready for Friday night services.  My cold had started to feel worse as the day went on, but we went to services and the menorah lighting anyway.  There was wine and challah in both places.  That’s because one passenger arranged the services, but someone else arranged for wine and bread at the menorah lighting.  The ship baked a beautiful challah upstairs for the service, but I’m not sure where the loaf of bread at the menorah came from.  Neither place had kosher wine and neither time did someone remember to cover the challah while they said kiddush.  Kind of weird, but whatever.

It was formal night, so we were definitely in the dining room with our table mates comparing our notes from the day.  During dinner, my nose was so clogged I could not breathe, so even though it was Shabbat, I went to the store and got some Hall’s and some Dristan Cold pills.  They helped, but made me sleepy.

I slept ok during the night, but took another dose of Dristan with breakfast.  Again we ate in the Washington dining room.  After breakfast, I was really sleepy. I dozed through the general trivia contest, and then we went to the towel animal demonstration.  Mark made some cute animals, and then we went to lunch and the chocolate buffet. After lunch, we made the first pass at packing our suitcases before heading up for the Groove for St. Jude party.  Mark had already made the donation and had the t-shirt for the party, but he did not dance.  We watched the others.  It was still kind of cold and gray; eventually it started to rain.  When the party was over, we went to the spa to check out the steam room and sauna.  Mark sat in there for about 10 minutes, but I just went back to the cabin and wrote this blog!  At 3 p.m. they are running the movie “Tangled” on the big outdoor screen. It is our plan to go watch it, but I had to put long pants and a jacket on! 

The whole time we watched the movie on deck, another ship was paralleling us. I can’t tell for sure, but it might be the Ruby Princess that was next to us in Grand Turk.  It’s definitely not a Carnival ship, no whale tail funnel! 

It’s usually sad to end a cruise, but this time we are both looking forward to it being over.  It was not a lot of fun because we were both sick some of the time.  There was hardly a day when one of us didn’t feel under the weather or down right sick.  Also it was always a little bittersweet thinking what it might have been like if Rudy and George with us.  Mark and I have both said that this is the first time we have been eager for a cruise to end and to go home.

I’m pretty sure the weight gain will be horrific.  I ate, but I never walked the jogging track or went to the gym.  Either Mark was sick or I was sick, which really curtailed our interest in exercise. Unfortunately, nothing ever curtails my appetite.  We will go home tomorrow, so Monday morning I will be able to check my weight.  Whatever it is, I’m sure I won’t like it. I will have the rest of the week to try to reverse it somewhat before our company comes on Friday.

The next blog that I write will be at home either Sunday night after we arrive or Monday morning.  I’ll be sure to post that weight gain, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment