Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ups and Downs

My do-over on the bone density scan took less than 20 minutes, even in a crowded office with no appointment.  They were very apologetic and fit me in quickly.  Apparently, the protocol years ago was for the arm, so that's what I had done back in Maryland.  By the time I had to do one here, the protocol was changed to lower spine and hip.  The snafu at the office on Wednesday was that last year they took the right hip, but now the protocol is for the left hip.  The technician took the left hip, and only when she went to pull the two pictures together for comparison for the radiologist did she notice that last year they took the right hip.  She called Mark's cell phone right away, but even though it was only about five or ten minutes later, we were already in the car and his phone was off.  So I got in, had the right hip taken, and now I'm good for whatever happens next year! I still anticipate nothing wrong.

As for the weight, it goes up and it goes down.  I went up to 269 yesterday morning, and I was surprised.  This morning I'm back to 266.8, a smidge up from Wednesday but still acceptable.

I have been talking to Mark and Evey about switching up what I'm doing for dieting. I'm not doing enough, clearly.  Little by little all that weight has been creeping back.  I'm not interested in writing the calories down anymore like I used to.  For awhile the Lose It! program was interesting, but it's tedious.  I tried the Weight Watchers online program, but I never bonded with the points system and found it hard to figure out. 

Recently I've heard about two other diet plans. The first was a big hit in England. It's called the Fast Diet, which allows you to eat whatever you want five days a week and follow a modified fast of only 500 calories the other two days.  I bet that would work, and it was intriguing; however, I don't know if I can go hungry two days a week.  Also, if left to my own devices, I could eat A LOT on the other five days if someone tells me I can have anything I want.  I actually thought I'd try it on Thursday, and Friday, and Saturday.  Nope!  Couldn't do it at all. 

The other one was on the news, but I can't remember it's name.  It was touting eating small meals every three hours, 4 meals and 3 snacks a day.  The main thing I remember from that one is that the portions are pretty small each time.  That might work because eating every three hours is good.

Finally, I am thinking about pulling out the American Diabetic Association diet.  I always liked the exchanges on the old Weight Watchers plan, and they still work that way.  Mark has been making great dinners from a diabetic friendly magazine that lists the exchanges.  I'd like to pretend I'm a diabetic and stick to that for awhile, or forever.  The problem with that is that in the back of my mind I do know that I'm not a diabetic.  Will I be able to be that disciplined when I don't have to?  I don't know.

These are just some thoughts I've been having lately.  I was great yesterday.  I walked a mile, even though it was blustery and cold, and I had only 1100 nutritious calories.  This morning's breakfast was higher than usual because Mark makes us his special biscuit breakfast.  I had a low carb biscuit, 2 veggie sausage links, and a two egg and cheese omelet.  Yummy.  Lunch is going to be out at the Sweet Tomatoes buffet.  I will probably eat too many calories, but they will be reasonably healthy calories, mostly soup and salad.  Dinner is at home, but I'm sure my count today will hit over 2000 without any problem at all.  I bet I'm up tomorrow from the sodium in the soup alone.

On the fun side, we watched the ceremonial start of the 41st Iditarod in Anchorage yesterday. It was free online.  Today we will watch the actual start, which we can see online because Mark subscribed to the Iditarod Insider.  We have been doing this for about five or six years.  We love watching the dogs and following the mushers as they make their way to Nome.

My sister-in-law, Denise, wants to go up there for the start some day.  Mark and I would love to go, too, so maybe we'll be standing on that downtown Anchorage street, all bundled up, watching the sleds take off in person.  The place completely books out years in advance, so we had better start planning now!

No comments:

Post a Comment