Sunday, November 16, 2014

Solivita Theater Group

Our house guest spent the day in his room, coming out only for meals and pills.  That's what he should do, so Mark and I applauded that decision.  He still has a fever, but it's lower.  He felt crappy yesterday, but that is to be expected.  We shall see how another day of complete rest does.

Meanwhile, I got a lot done on my jigsaw puzzle yesterday!  This crazy, 1000 piece puzzle of a Doctor Who Theme has been the most difficult one I have ever tried.  I've been working on it for a little over a year.  Yesterday I finally started to think I can actually finish it!  LOL!  Maybe in another year.

This afternoon Mark and I will be going to the matinee performance of the Solivita Theater Group, along with a lot of our neighbors.  The group did not have open auditions this year for the fall show because it's just three one-acts, each with two characters.  The actors brought the director their own ideas and interest in these little skits.  There will be a buffet luncheon with special fish for us instead of the poultry entree.  We will be leaving our guest at home alone, but I'm sure he will just rest in his room the entire time we are gone. 

Tomorrow we are supposed to go to the Hollywood Studios in the evening to see the Osborne Lights.  Our friend Edward, who is a full time WDW employee, volunteered to meet us there at 5 p.m. and get our guest in for free.  Well, now we don't know if he will be up to going.  We need to make the decision tonight in order to cancel.  Edward doesn't have a cell phone!  Old school kind of guy.  No computer either.  Once he leaves for work tomorrow morning, there will be no way to contact him again.

I feel bad that our guest is spending most of his vacation sick and incapacitated.  It's no fun, and Mark and I have both been there. With our guest's experience, we both started to think of our most memorable sick vacations.

I have had two biggies!  The first time was in the summer of 1973.  I had flown out to San Francisco to spend three weeks with my high school girlfriend who went out there for college and stayed the rest of her life.  Just a few days after I arrived, she had to take me to the ER with a high fever.  Turns out I got the flu for the first time in my life.  I spent a week in bed on multiple different medications.  UGH.  Good thing I was staying three weeks.  As a side, the following year I got the flu again and from then on I have gotten a flu shot every year and never had the flu again.  GET YOUR FLU SHOT PEOPLE! The second time was at VA Beach in the summer of 1984.  Mark, Lowell, and I were driving down there to start a week long summer vacation on the beach.  I felt terrible on the whole drive down and went to the ER that night after checking into the hotel.  They said I had a kidney stone!  They thought I had passed it, so they sent me back to the hotel.  Well, they were wrong. I was up all night and went back to the ER the next morning.  They injected me with radioactive iodine to look for the stone.  BAD IDEA!  That's how I learned I'm allergic to iodine.  I went into anaphylactic shock and woke up in ICU.  I spent two more nights in the hospital.  What a fun vacation, right?

For Mark, his first memorable sick vacation was in Niagara Falls in the summer of 1990.  We had a long road trip that summer, culminating in Niagara Falls.  Shortly after we arrived, Mark and Lowell got high fevers and vomiting and felt MISERABLE.  Evey picked it up in time for the drive home.  We still quote Lowell's famous comment from the back seat to Evey, "Barf bag?"  LOL!  We stopped at a rest area where she got out of the car and spun in a circle with vomit flying all around. LOL!  Oh yeah, good times.  I had the good sense to wait until we got home before getting that nasty bug.  The second time was his trip on the Carnival Valor a few years ago.  The first night on the ship he spiked a fever and vomited all night.  He had to go the ship's medical center the next morning. They called his case into the CDC, suspecting norovirus, but since he had no diarrhea they did not restrict him to his cabin.  In about a day and a half he felt better.  He suspects it was food poisoning.  That is never going to be his favorite cruise! 

How about you?  Any good vacation stories involving illness?



No comments:

Post a Comment