Thursday, September 10, 2015

Insomnia

Yesterday was so much fun.  We learned a lot at the meeting in the morning about estate planning.  We then picked up our friend Donna and went to the British Isles event celebrating the Queen.  The food and company were both excellent.  After a nap and a quick dinner, we enjoyed the Disney Fan Club meeting before returning home for some evening TV.

Then things got weird.  I usually have no trouble sleeping.  I might wake up a few times to go to the bathroom, but I always fall asleep again easily.  I go to bed between 11:30 and midnight every night and usually wake up around 7 and 7:30.

So I'm not sure what went wrong last night.  I went to bed at 11:30, and then played some puzzles on my phone before turning out the light at midnight.  Then I lay there with no chance of falling asleep for ninety minutes.  At 1:30 I got up.  Mark was still sitting up reading then, too.  I went out to the TV room and watched House Hunters International until 2 a.m. and then two hour-long episodes of Property Brothers.  At 4 a.m. HGTV goes off and turns into infomercials.  So I went back to the bedroom, played some more puzzles, and finally turned out the light at 4:15.  I set my alarm for 8:15 and fell asleep.  Four hours of sleep is not my usual, that's for sure!

I am blaming it on the can of Coke Zero and the ninety minute nap in the afternoon.  That's all I can think to blame it on!  I noticed a few years ago that caffeine late in the day keeps me up.  I switched to decaf coffee because of that, but I was craving that cold drink last night at 10 p.m. and forgot about the caffeine in it.  Oh, well...I managed to hold myself together to play Mah Jongg this morning from 9:30 to noon.  Soon we are heading up to the Palms for a HEAL meeting.  Then if I'm tired, I can take a SHORT nap before dinner and tonight's Travel Club New Year's Eve Cruise Meeting at 7 p.m.  I hope that sleep comes more easily tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment