Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Hurricane Joaquin...where will you be this weekend?

We are scheduled to sail out of Port Canaveral on Friday afternoon and docking in Bermuda on Monday.  So is Hurricane Joaquin!  Well, maybe not going to Bermuda, he might hit the mid-Atlantic hard, so Lowell and Emily and our other friends and relatives in Maryland and NJ need to be vigilant.  Even if the hurricane doesn't hit Bermuda, and most models do not expect it to do so, it WILL be out in the ocean between Florida and Bermuda on Friday afternoon and through Saturday.  I am hoping our captain plays it safe.  Maybe we'll sail south for awhile and try to go south of it and then turn north farther east than the path of the hurricane.  I think that no matter what might happen or where we or the hurricane goes, I suspect that the seas will be very rough.  Maybe I'll pack some Dramamine this time just in case!

I had my six month check up with the radiation oncologist today.  All was well.  It's been over five years since my surgery!  It's hard to believe.  If the medical oncologist tells me in December that I can do annual visits with her instead of every six months, then the radiation onc will do the same thing.  I still am supposed to visit both once a year, so that's going up to the cancer center every six months, for the rest of my life!  I guess there's just no getting out of it once you've been a cancer patient.  Somehow "once a cancer patient, always a cancer patient" seems to be the accepted practice.

Tonight we are having four people join us for dinner in the succah.  We are having appetizers of kosher mini dogs in dough and veggie egg rolls  The main meal will be deli sandwiches, pickles, cole slaw, and potato salad.  it's going to be picnic style out in the succah because the table is falling apart and doesn't really seat six.  At 7 is the Shalom Club meeting, so this will be only about 90 minutes for everything before we all head up to the meeting.  Mark is very excited to have some company in the succah.  It's not like the old days when we would have dinner for 12 out there almost every night.  That was so much work, but he LOVED it! 

Tomorrow morning we have our monthly NARFE meeting.  Then we'll head home and Mark will take down the succah while I get a head start on packing.  By late afternoon we will be heading over to the Magic Kingdom for the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party!  We have not done that since 2011, so this should be a lot of fun.  I'm sure we will be bringing home lots of candy, but I can hide it.  I hope.  I actually only weighed 272 this morning at home, 275 at the doctor's office, so I guess I'm still maintaining okay.  I'm wondering how I will do on the cruise.  I think I did have one cruise where I did not gain a pound or more a day.  I really hope I can make this one a maintenance cruise.  We shall see.

I'm taking my computer with me in order to upload my pictures every day to the hard drive.  I won't be using too much internet service, so don't expect too many blogs until after October 10 when we return.  I might write one final one Friday morning before we head to the port.  Then that would be it until we return.

If you are in the path of Hurricane Joaquin, batten down the hatches!


No comments:

Post a Comment