Friday, April 15, 2016

Passover shopping just never ends.

We may be driving all the way back to the Maitland Winn-Dixie again today to get parve margarine.  It was supposed to come in today, but if it's not going to be there in the morning, we will have to find another time.  We both have obligations at 1 p.m.  The closer W-D near our synagogue is also supposed to have margarine today, but a friend called yesterday and it was not delivered.  To save a longer drive, I do plan to call them again this morning just in case it came in overnight or early this morning.  No one can really understand why margarine is making everyone's life difficult this year.  And even if we go somewhere today or next week to get it, we still have a yet another shopping day to do because we always get the fresh things like milk, eggs, fish, and vegetables just the day before Passover.  After all the shopping, cleaning, and preparations are made, I usually relax and enjoy the holiday, but honestly, I don't think ANYONE likes the few weeks leading up to Passover.  I don't bake or make any special foods until the day of the seder, but honestly, I don't know how some women do it. Some of them bake their cakes and cookies well in advance and store them for the holiday.  I have never figured out how to make the kitchen kosher for Passover that far in advance just to bake.  No thanks.  I'll buy my baked goods!

Yesterday went as planned with the exception of skipping the movie.  It's a good thing we didn't go because we got severe thunderstorm warnings and hail and high winds right around the time we would have gone to the movie. We didn't get much out of the storm, thankfully, just about 30 seconds of small hail.  We've had more rain and higher winds at other times.  Still, the emergency radio kept going off, so we made sure the yard had nothing in it that could be a projectile and unplugged our computers just in case there was a power surge.  Better safe than sorry.

I had grilled salmon on a plain green salad with no cheese or dressing at the restaurant for lunch yesterday.  That was by far the very best option. I had water to drink and that was it.  It was National Pecan Day, so I weighed out 1 ounce of pecans, 196 calories.  My day was great, 1320 calories, although there was no exercise.  My weight this morning is the same as yesterday, 273, again.  If we drive up to Maitland, we still hope to be back to eat lunch at home or maybe pack it and eat it in the car.  That way all meals are at home today.  Saturday and Sunday will have all meals at home, too, so I should be able to finish the week staying on track.  With any luck, I can crack that 270 mark by the end of next week.  Although there will be two seders and lots of Passover food as part of that week.  That's going to be a serious challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment