Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tourist Tuesday without Susie and Ed

Today is a Tuesday.  Today Mark and I are going back to the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg.  That makes it a Tourist Tuesday!

Unfortunately, Susie and Ed had to cancel going today because they have too many other things to do.  We understand!  They are very busy right now.  They wanted us to change the date, but we couldn't. The special Dali and Disney exhibit is only there until June 12, and we literally do not have one other entire day open between now and then to go.  Sorry, Ed and Susie.

Mark is especially excited because we are going to eat lunch in Tampa at a restaurant called Skipper's Smokehouse.  They have a Grouper Reuben!  He has been wanting that for awhile.

Our doctor appointments went well yesterday.  She was pleased with both of us and our numbers.  As I predicted, I weighed 281 on her scale, up three from naked at home, but she didn't care.  All my blood work numbers seemed good to her, and she said we both were healthy, active, and seemed happy.  She said she was happy for us.  I asked all my questions, and she took a lot of time with the two of us.  Sometimes we complain about the office and the receptionist people, but Dr. Balkman herself is always great. I guess that's why we really don't leave her.  Plus she is so close!

My BP was 142/79, almost identical to what it was on March 11 at Dr. VJ's office, 142/80.  This seems high for me because I always had a top number in the 120s or less.  It seems like it's creeping up a bit, but neither doctor has mentioned it.  I blame it on my weight.  It was a lot lower when my weight was lower.

My weight at home this morning was 277.4.  There's no reason why it should be down significantly since yesterday because I ate a LOT of leftover Passover macaroons and a lot of raisins.  My meals were all perfect, but the between meal snacking was ridiculous.  Maybe today will be better.

There was an interesting segment on Good Morning America this morning on weight loss.  There was a study following all 14 contestants of one season from The Biggest Loser.  All but one person had gained a significant amount of their weight back in two years; some had gained all of it.  This does not surprise me!  It's the story of my life, over and over.  What was being reported as new, in addition to this study, was how these people had permanently slowed down their metabolisms by the dramatic weight loss, how they burned significantly less calories every day than the same person who was always at that normal weight, and how they were constantly hungry and rarely felt full.  The hormone (or whatever it is, maybe just a chemical) Leptin was to blame for some of that.  I had actually read an article in Time magazine many years ago about a study with obese and normal weight rats.  That was the first time I heard about Leptin and its role in controlling hunger.  Even the doctor on GMA said that this information has been known to the medical community for about 20 years, but it is not widely known by the general public.  Clearly, the multi-billion dollar weight loss industry would NOT want you to know that even if you lose weight down to your ideal weight, it will be nearly impossible to keep it off.  Your body changes and always wants to find that weight again.  I've been saying that my whole life.

I don't think that means I should not attempt to eat healthy and exercise often.  That just makes good sense.  But it does mean that I should NOT beat myself up about slip-ups or weight gain when I've been doing my best.  When I'm NOT doing my best, than I can complain to myself and try to do better the next day.  That's what I"m doing today. I know I finished off the ends of two macaroon cans yesterday and ate handfuls of raisins right out of the big box.  That was unnecessary and a poor choice.  I admit that I felt hungry one of those times, but not all of the times.  Sometimes I just eat for no reason, maybe for boredom, but not for hunger.  THOSE are the times I need to check myself, take a step back, take a deep breath, and ask myself what I'm doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment