Sunday, February 7, 2010

26 hours No Power


I have lived for nearly 29 years in this house, and we have never lost our power for longer than an hour or two until yesterday. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. Friday night (Saturday morning, actually) to go to the bathroom, and we had power. At 2:50 a.m. I got up again to go to the bathroom, and we did not have power. Later I learned that it had gone out at 2:01 a.m. It did not return for over 26 hours. I usually like snowstorms; I enjoy watching it and being cozy warm inside with hot soup, hot chocolate, and coffee. Well, this one was not like that! We put on multiple layers of clothes and sat under blankets all day. Our thermostat is programmed to go down to 62 overnight, so when the power went out, that's where we were. When it came on this morning, I ran out to check the temperature. It had gone down to 50 degrees. Pretty nippy! Our gas hot water heater still worked, so we made some tepid tea through the day. When my hands got really cold, I ran them under hot water. Cold salads got old as the day went on. We had a wind-up radio, a flashlight, and some candles, so we were ok. We also had our cell phones and a regular land line that worked. I talked to a lot of people on the phone, and we read a lot of books. My Kindle worked just fine! Still it wasn't the most fun I ever had.

Now I have to face shoveling over two feet of snow. Mark surely can't do it, and I'm not supposed to either. My plan is to go out for half an hour and see how it goes. Then I will rest an hour and see if I'm up to some more. If anyone is out there from my neighbor's house who is willing to work for pay, I will pay ANYTHING to get someone else to do this.

How was your snowstorm? Hope you are all cozy and warm inside if you had snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment