Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Living with Tarps

I am so naive that I did not realize that all the major renovations going on in our house would require that every room, every stick of furniture, every EVERYTHING would be sealed up under plastic tarps. We managed to sleep in our room last night because they had not put the tarp up yet; they had pushed all the furniture into a heap in the center of the room, but we crawled up on the bed anyway. Now that's impossible also. As we began to see things getting tarped this morning, we rescued our coats, Mark's pills (sadly not mine), my purse, and our laptops. That's all we have. Now we've booked a hotel room. I have no access to clean clothes or toiletries, so I am taking sick leave tomorrow and Thursday. I went ahead and told the school Thursday also because it's not looking good for any tarp-removal happening by the end of the day tomorrow! I might have to go buy new clothes tomorrow; my current clothes are filthy from cleaning the basement all day. We took out 12 giant green garbage bags of sheer crap from the TV room and two closets. That took four and a half hours this morning. At that point we went out to lunch and did some shopping. When we got home, we found the entire kitchen and bedroom had been tarped! Funny, we could not put the fresh veggies that we bought into the fridge. Our pantry is being rebuilt so all the food is on the living room floor under the tarp. So now we have booked the Comfort Suites in Laurel for tonight. Once they tarp the basement, we won't have any more internet access or TV either. OY.

On the plus side, it will look truly beautiful when it's finished! I also lost two and a half pounds this week despite more alcohol than usual, lava cake with ice cream on Valentine's Day, and hot cherry cobbler with ice cream last night for President's Day. Ah...lots of work cleaning and hauling things up the steps worked those calories off! I hit 206 this morning, so I was happy. Now I'm only 31 pounds from my goal of 175. I might even lose those six and hit an even 200 before we get on the train, which is exactly two weeks from today! Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment