Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow Day and Binge Regrets

All the schools are closed, thankfully. We have only one car dug out, so there is no way that we are both going somewhere separately today. Also, Mark is not a confident driver in bad conditions and generally prefers me to do the driving. So...I rescheduled my 1:40 p.m. CT scan to tomorrow at 9:40 a.m. in order to be available to drive Mark to his 1:45 p.m. Cardiologist follow-up appointment. His stress levels and heart rate will shoot up as a passenger, but they will be better than if he was the driver! He hasn't ruled out rescheduling his appointment also, but so far no one is answering at the cardio office. Hm...that should be telling us something.

As for weight and food, it's hardly the first thing I'm thinking about these days. Maybe it should be, but it's not. Stress brings on binge eating. Do you think I have just a little stress going on? I was on track for a perfect day yesterday until the Super Bowl. In the past I have watched it with my daughter at home with tons of salty, crunchy, and sweet, sugary snacks. It was a mega-excuse for us both to overeat. The last few years have found us at the synagogue's Super Bowl party chowing down on vegetarian chili, kosher hot dogs, chips and salsa, and playing Mah Jongg at the same time. This year the party was canceled and my daughter is in Boston. That left me home alone with the Super Bowl.

I did one thing right. I did not buy any junk food, so there wasn't going to be a huge binge with the wrong foods. Unfortunately for me, I can manage to binge on whatever is available. So last night I managed to eat 2,000 extra calories of low-carb granola cereal, low-carb maple pecan cereal, walnuts, lo-cal whole wheat toast with lo-fat margarine, and the bunny rabbit's stash of Craisins. None of that is bad on its own; in fact it's all rather healthy. But a binge-eater can make anything bad if enough is consumed. Yeah, I ate 2,000 calories worth of that stuff after I had already had my day planned to include about 1600. So unfortunately, yesterday I had to write down 3,600 calories for the day. Sad. I hope today is better. That's one thing I have to learn to do--not beat myself up too much over losing control periodically. I hate myself in the morning every time, but it can't be the beginning of a streak. I'm learning to let it go and start over. Wish me luck.

Mark, when you read this, I know you'll be mad and yell at me. Don't yell too much, please, it will spike your heart rate!

No comments:

Post a Comment