Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back to the Real World




We got back yesterday evening. It was a great cruise, but it was also good to get home. When you cruise back-to-back-to-back like we did, it's fun to get to know the crew members a lot better. They always appreciate seeing a familiar face return. We especially enjoyed listening to the a cappella group on the Century. They are called the Tide Flats, four young men from Tacoma, Washington. We listened to them at least once a day.

Our friends Rudy and Georganne joined us for the third cruise. It made is special for us to have friends onboard. I know Georganne loved it, but we're not sure about Rudy. I'm sure he has lots of stories of his own to tell! Still, Mark and I are very glad they joined us.

Although we walked a lot on shore excursion days and several times on the jogging track, I also ate and ate and ate. UGH. On the last day at sea, I think we had five or six meals! Note to future cruises: never schedule the Champagne High Tea in the specialty restaurant on the same day as the big BRUNCH in the main dining room. Both were delicious, but OY, so much food!

Of course, I gained weight. I gained six pounds in the 20 days since we left the house. I guess it could be worse, but now it has to change. I ate a pretty big breakfast on board yesterday morning, but then we had Subway salads and Denny's tilapia for lunch and dinner. Today it is back to normal! Mark is making low-carb pancakes and scrambled eggs for our breakfast. We have to go shopping later because there isn't much food in here right now.

At 2 p.m. the theater group of Solivita is putting on a play in the ballroom. We bought tickets for today's matinee before we left on the cruise. It will be fun to go up and see them. I was going to spend the morning at the pool, but it's cool and overcast, so that's not happening. That's kind of sad because today is the last day for swimming before radiation starts tomorrow. I am not supposed to go in pools, hot tubs, or sun for that whole time.

I hope everyone had a great three weeks while we were gone. I will post some cruise pictures periodically on the blog. Today's picture is the Tide Flats and a few with Rudy and Georganne. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you're back. I am so glad you had a good time. 6 lbs in 3 weeks of cruising isn't bad at all. I had a subway salad with double meat for the first time when you were gone. I absolutely love it. I will be thinking of you as you make it through radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love the double meat turkey salad. Since I don't use salad dressing, it's only 190 calories. Pretty filling and healthy. Which kind did you get? I still have lots of catch up reading to do on the breast cancer support group. It looks like there was lots of activity while I was gone and some new people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, welcome back home. I've missed you!!! I was going to email you while you were away, just to stay in touch and not at all expecting you to answer while you were vacationing, but couldn't find your email address. I found it late yesterday and here you are already, home!

    I'm glad you had a wonderful time and you are amazing and will lose that weight right away. I know you will. The main thing given what you have gone through was that you enjoyed yourself and savored everything and that you did.

    I love the pictures so far and think you look amazing in the dress up one with the group of singers. You look great without a scarf. I wish I was brave enough to go without a hat or scarf. I have a lot of hair now but it is still only about 1/2 in long and white and hugs to my head real tight. I could do caps now but our weather isn't warm enough yet.

    Radiation is going great. I'm kind of getting in to a routine now. Today will be number 7 for me. You are going to do great with it too. My drive is about an hour and 10 minutes one way but it is 4 lane all the way and I don't mind the drive at all. Family has been taking me so far. I think I could do it myself, at least for now before the real fatigue sets in if it does, but they won't let me. Kind of frustrating as I want to get some kind of life back and my family won't let me. As long as the hover over me, that keeps me in breast cancer sickness and recovery. Again, WELCOME HOME!

    Love,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Juanita,
    Good to hear from you again. Glad that your radiation is going smoothly, and I'm hoping to be able to say the same thing. I'm actually excited to get it started today. I'll be blogging about it later tonight. I decided not to blog until I get back because then there will be more interesting stuff to write about. I also have some short white hair, kind of fuzzy. I don't love it, but the hot flashes from the Arimidex make it too hot to wear anything else right now. Everyone said it looked ok to go "bald," so I did. I'm used to it now. Keep in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! I missed reading your blog and thought about you while you were gone, hoping that you were having a wonderful time. Arlene
    showed me a couple of the pictures you emailed
    her. I am looking forward to seeing more pics on this blog. Best of luck with the radiation. I am sure you will do well because you have such a great attitude. I just returned to choir and of course that brought back many memories of when you were conducting us. I hope you find an outlet for your wonderful musical talents down in Florida. Love and best wishes, Nadine

    ReplyDelete