Sunday, March 20, 2011

Missed National Corndog Day

After shul, we went to the pool anyway to relax in the shade. Mark napped, but I read the March issue of AARP magazine. It said that March 19 is National Corndog Day. Dang it! Why didn't I read that article a few days earlier. Our local health food store, Chamberlain's, actually carries frozen kosher corndogs. I could have been munching them for lunch yesterday. Well, it won't sneak up on me unawares next year. I have programmed it into my calendar to repeat every year. If you like corndogs, I suggest you do the same!

The show last night was better than I expected. It was lip-synching, yes, but I have to give those folks credit. They had two Acts, two dozen songs, about the same number of people in the cast, elaborate costumes, sets and lots of props as appropriate, very good choreography, and truly excellent lip-synching. It was obvious that a lot of time and effort was put into the show. It had lighting, good sound system, a lot of people back stage keeping everything smooth. There were two guys doing patter between the songs and involving the audience. The song selection was a lot of fun. The theme was American Bandstand, so the songs had all been performed on that show at some point. There were serious songs, comedy songs, and serious songs performed with an unusual comic twist. Two songs had kids doing them. My favorite was "Witch Doctor." The two kids doing that were just adorable. I overheard some conversation in the ladies room during intermission. This was either the 12th year or 20th year, depending on which lady was correct, that this group has put on such a show. Last year they did all the songs from "Mamma Mia." I really went in there not expecting to like it, but I came out with a new respect for this group. Also the audience was packed. There was not one extra seat at the restaurant's tables, plus there were seats set up along the sides for some folks. Maybe they didn't buy the dinner buffet, not sure. Most of the audience seemed to know who was on stage and got a big hoot out of seeing their friends dressed up, wearing wigs, and acting to the songs. I really think Mishkan Torah could do a show like this.

Mark had a great time at his Purim celebration as well. He said there were about 80 people there, including some famous ones. At least they are famous with Mark and Evey. They listen to a Disney podcast all the time done by four people who are super Disney fans. Well, the girl is Jewish, so two of them were at the Purim celebration last night. Mark recognized them, so he went over and introduced himself and enjoyed a little conversation with them. He was flying high!

He even brought home one tiny hamantaschen, which we split last night. Now I cannot say I did not have a hamantaschen for Purim. I guess I should not worry about the calories in half of that truly smallest hamantaschen I ever saw. After all, I ate a piece of bread pudding and a canoli for dessert at dinner.

This morning we are going to have our usual Disney Sunday. The movie for today will be Rango with Johnny Depp. I have seen a lot of commercials for it, and it looks like a fun time. After that, we plan to have lunch at the Disney Marketplace at Earl of Sandwich and do some shopping in World of Disney. There are a few things for the house we want to get. Then, it's off to Epcot. Today's entertainer is Chubby Checker! (Ha Ha! He was mimed last night.) I think it will be packed in there today. It's going to be perfect weather, plus it's spring break this week for the local schools. The Guess Who had a packed house last Sunday, so I cannot believe Chubby Checker won't also. He has to do three shows, and we plan to hit the first one. I'm impressed that people of these ages have the stamina to do three shows in a row with only about a 40 minute break to rest up in between. Impressive. Plus they do it three days in a row, nine shows total! We plan to catch the 5:15 show, the first one of the day. Then we can come home for dinner and some TV. Another great Sunday!

I hope you all have a great Sunday, too. And don't forget to put National Corndog Day on your calendars.

Happy Purim!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! We missed you last night at the Megillah reading, but we had fun with our usual silliness and crazy readings. I participated this year, doing the end of Chapter 2 which has Mordecai telling Esther of the eunuchs' plot to do away with the king. I did it in English to the tune of "Mack the Knife" dressed in a black blazer and pants, white shirt, thin black and brown tie (which Dick tied on himself, then loosened and put on me), and a slouchy hat I borrowed from Jeff Rosen. I went up the ramp onto the bima (couldn't get to the dais that had been pulled forward), Yoni handed me a mike and I started to snap. I started to sing and after a line or two, people started to catch on. They began to clap along. I modulated up a half step for the second verse, then repeated the end of the song for the last line and held out the words "instance" and "king" and ended by saying "yeah!". People said they liked it and I had fun doing it. Jeff Rosen did a medley of opera ditties. I'll let Arlene tell you what she did, but it was fun, too. We even had a girl twirling a hula hoop while her father read a lengthy portion - how she kept going that long, I'll never know. Glad you had fun at the show and got a small piece of hamantaschen. Enjoy Chubby Checker's show (that brings back memories). Happy Purim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a blast you all had. I hope Arlene lets me know what she did! Mark enjoyed himself, but it sure wasn't Mishkan Torah. We will be up for the Keter Shem Tov, so we hope to see you then.

    ReplyDelete