Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top o' the mornin' to you...

I just learned the proper response to this Irish greeting today on the morning news show. The response is, "And the rest o' the day to you."

Yesterday, my new F-cream prescription was supposed to be ready at Wal Mart after 12 noon. Mark was going there anyway around that time to do his weekly grocery shopping. This is why we picked Wal Mart since he would regularly be in there. So at 12:30 he got in line and waited. When it was his turn, he was asked the usual question, "When did you drop it off?" He informed them it was Tuesday at 4:30, still not understanding why that is not in their system if it's so important. They said, "Oh, I see it will be ready in just 5 more minutes. Just wait a little longer." He waited. Then they informed him they didn't have any, and it will be in tomorrow after 12 noon. AAAGGGHHH!!!

Oh, it was a GOOD thing I was walking my 2 mile walk at the time, listening to Beatles songs on my iPhone. I probably would have leaped over the counter and throttled the clerk. Mark called me on the phone and rightly suggested we take the prescription somewhere else. You THINK? Of course, I was only about half way on my 2 mile walk, so we had to wait until I got home and double-checked which other pharmacies would accept my insurance.

I got home and checked the Express Scripts website. Walgreen's, CVS, Publix, just about any pharmacy you can name, will accept my insurance. I called Walgreen's because it's the closest one to the house. No, they don't carry that cream regularly, but they could have it in by tomorrow. I said no thanks and called Publix. They said, sure, we have it; we'll call Wal Mart and have it switched over; we'll have it for you by 4 p.m. This was 1 p.m. WOW!! They did have it ready when I got there, and it cost less than my co pay. I told them they will have ALL my business from now on. I was very pleased and impressed. Finally someone who cares about their customers.

I applied the cream last night before bed and again this morning after my shower. I hope it helps.

This morning I will be having a glass maker at the house. Our china hutch had glass shelves, which I unfortunately forgot when we put it in the moving POD. Oops, shattered glass! So a company is coming to the house to cut the glass on the premises and install four new shelves. He's also going to try to replace one pane of glass in an antique book cabinet that holds my mug collection. Mark broke that pane years ago in MD when he accidentally knocked a dining room chair over. We're not sure it can be fixed, but this glass guy is going to try his best. I'm excited to get the new shelves because that means I can empty another 8 boxes of china and glassware. It's one more step to getting completely unpacked.

I ate about 1200 calories yesterday and walked 2 miles. I also did my weight machines. I'm doing three sets of 10 reps at 10 pounds on 4 machines for the arms and one machine for legs. Since I walked 50 minutes, I skipped the bike. Mark and I are both hoping Evey will have time while she's here to come to the gym with us and see if we're doing everything right!

I wanted to be sure I could really walk two miles today. I had not done it except one time on the ship. Tomorrow Mark and I are participating in a two mile walk for breast cancer here in Solivita. We signed up before we went away on the cruise. I had said I wanted to do a 5k in public, but I'm not up for that yet. When I saw the two mile walk, I figured I could get ready for that. So, YEAH, I'm ready. It will take me 50 minutes, and I'll probably be the last person to finish, but I don't care. I'm excited to go get my t-shirt and do a public walk for this disease. We are hoping to meet some other survivors at the walk. They are giving us t-shirts, but I'm going to show up to register wearing the pink Survivor shirt that Leslie sent me. This will be the first time I've worn it and the first time I'm really feeling like I can say that I AM a survivor!

Today is Thursday, which means free wine with dinner at the local Lakeside restaurant and then a free movie at the Solivita Starlite Ballroom. Tonight's movie is Life As We Know It. It should be fun. I also have radiation #9. So far the radiation has gone very well. The two men who are the techs are nice. We have interesting conversations for a few minutes as they set me up. The more we do it, the faster they get at getting me into position. It involves pushing and pulling me on a sheet and checking lasers on my tattoos to be sure I'm level and lined up. Then they do the ultrasound before leaving the room to deliver the radiation. It's all over in about 20 minutes or less from the time they call me back to the time I'm leaving the facility. It's a 35 to 40 minute drive each way. I don't mind it yet because there is no fatigue and no pain on the skin yet. I'm definitely pink. It looks like I have a mild amount of sun exposure on the left side and none on the right side.

So Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone. I am wearing a green shirt today, but I will not eat any green bagels or drink any green beer. Maybe someone else will do that in my honor! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment