Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rainy Day



Last night some pretty big thunderstorms rolled through our area. There was lots of lightening, heavy downpours, and some stiff winds. It sounded very loud out on the lanai. This morning it's gray, overcast, and raining steadily. At least the lightening is gone. I'm on the lanai drinking coffee, writing emails, reading Facebook, and typing this blog. I love the sound of the rain on the lanai. I like looking at my backyard even when it's gray and rainy. I love being here.

Last night Evey called me just to talk. Can we say, "Aw...." She almost never does that, so I was impressed. That meant we talked on the phone two nights in a row. I'm in heaven! I love the sound of her voice and hearing what she's doing in her classes and at work. Now if I could only get Lowell to do that!

When I went for my radiation yesterday, I did tell them I had changed my mind and would stay with them despite all the co pays. They were all thrilled, of course. Just like I got called into Paul's billing office on Tuesday, yesterday I got called into the doctor's office. At first he checked my skin and asked how I was doing with the radiation, but that was just a ruse. He really wanted to talk about why I was leaving. Word gets around! I told him I had changed my mind and reassured him that it had never been a reflection on the level of care I was receiving. It had been a financial decision, which I have now decided to reverse. I really decided that my time was worth the money. I know he felt relieved! I just hope they don't bill for too many more co pays when I'm not there, but since I'll actually BE there every week day for 30 more days, I guess that's not too likely. LOL!

I feel good about this decision because they really are nice and also very convenient.

Once I committed to staying at the Osceola Cancer Center with the 3:30 appointment times, I was free to think about other appointments in the future. I made an appointment for a bridal salon in Celebration on Lowell's birthday, March 25. Ha Ha!! It has nothing to do with Lowell except that it's his birthday. Evey will be arriving at 11 p.m. on March 24 in order to have her bridal gown fitted. The salon was very accommodating. The owner said she has an excellent seamstress who does work on Maggie Sottero gowns. She even plans to have the adjustments made so fast that Evey can come back for the final fitting on Monday, March 28 before she leaves for home the next day. We also plan to get the veil and shoes and any other things she needs at that salon while we are there. It will be a great Mother-Daughter time. Dad is invited, too, but I don't think he'll be as excited about all of this as we are. LOL!!

I went to the gym yesterday as I promised. I even rode the bike for 8 minutes. I could have done more, but Mark was already done and waiting for me. Also it was after 6 p.m., and we were both tired. Today I am hoping to walk again, but with the rain we'll have to go into the indoor track. Oh, what a hardship. Ha ha!!

Radiation number 4 today. Counting them down. So far, no ill effects. I'm also happy to report that there are no ill effects, other than several hot flashes each day, from the Arimidex. After being on it for one month, I'm having no joint or muscle pain that I can attribute just to the pills. The kind of joint and muscle aches that I get seem no worse than any I was always getting before breast cancer and can be attributed to walking and exercise. That's good news!

The two pictures today are Mark with our tablemates during the second cruise. This was taken on the dock at Key West. These two nice people are the parents of a famous NHL player who just retired. They are from Vancouver, but their son played for a NC team. They were spending a month or so in NC visiting him and his family and attending ceremonies for their son as the team retired his jersey. The other picture is me at the Mayan ruins in Cozumel, Mexico on the second cruise. These ruins were for fertility rites and no human sacrifices ever took place there. About 10 ruins are excavated and accessible, but the guide said that there are nearly 200 others in the jungle that have never been excavated yet. Amazing. These ruins are dated between 900 and 1200 A.C.E.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I had a busy day today. I am just now reading your blog. I am so excited for you that radiation is going better and that you are doing so well on your Arimidex. You have something wonderful to look forward to with your daughter coming to visit too. Hope you get rid of the rain soon. It seems like forever since we've had sunshine. (It's really not forever I'm just kind of a whiner today) We are supposed to have 50 degree weather for the next several days and so I am looking forward to that. Have a good day tomorrow. Thanks so much for the e-mail you sent me. Your honesty about your weight challenges continues to be such an encouragement to me. I didn't do too bad this week. I lost 1/2 lb. I am going to try for more next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Rhonda,
    Weather is so relative! It's beautiful and sunny this morning. I remember feeling warm when it hit 50 in MD after a long spell in the 30s or 40s. Here in FL today, we are going to be a high of 65 and everyone is whining about why it is so COLD. Ha ha ha!! I actually had to put a robe on when I got up this morning, and I'm going to drag out my fleece jacket later when I go outside. I bet everyone in Iowa would go out in shirtsleeves if it hit 65 and sunny today! Right? LOL

    I think I'm down a 1/2 pound, too. I did well yesterday, although there was no exercise. I ate at Subway for lunch, and although I ate diner out, I didn't have bread or dessert. I'm trying to regain that control over my eating that I used to have.

    Hope you have an awesome day today.

    ReplyDelete