Friday, March 18, 2011

Super Moon






This morning Mark and I participated in the Solivita 2 mile Walk/Run for the American Cancer Society. It is the community's third annual one, and it was there biggest one so far. They made nearly $7,000 to donate. 220 people participated, 31 survivors. I'm proud to count myself among the 31 survivors now. In fact, for the first time I wore the pink shirt with the word Survivor on the back that my daughter's soon-to-be mother-in-law Leslie sent me in the fall. In the picture, I do NOT have a mohawk haircut. LOL For some reason there is an odd shadow on my head.

We showed up at 8:30 a.m. to sign in and pick up our t-shirts. I thought I would wear the new shirt over the pink one, but before we left I knew it would be too hot. I took off the pink one and wore the new Solivita shirt. We stepped off at 9:02. A beautiful two mile course was laid out through the community, including walking past some model homes where we stayed last June for the Discovery Days when we put down the contract on this house. I walked the two miles in 48 minutes, so I shaved 2 minutes off my time from Wednesday. I came in third to last! There had been five people behind me when we got to the last half mile or so, but somewhere along the way three of them bailed out and did not finish. The elderly couple a few yards behind me were the final two to cross the finish line. Still, I was proud of myself for doing this. In January I couldn't walk 2 blocks, and now I can do 2 miles without even thinking about it. Pretty good!

I had set a goal for myself during my weight loss year of doing a public 5k. I still haven't done that, but this is the third time I've walked two miles for cancer. I did it at the resort of Eastover in Massachusetts when we were there for a week in the summer of 2009. Then last June when we were at Camp Westmont in PA for a week, we did our second two mile walk. That walk was only one week before I found my lump. How ironic.

Radiation number ten will be this afternoon. I used my F-cream four times now. I hope it works. My skin was much pinker yesterday, and I noticed a quarter-sized circle on the side of the breast that appears darker than the rest of the area. It will probably blister up soon. So far nothing hurts, just looks a bit pinker than the rest of me.

Tonight the moon is going to be closer to the earth than it has been for 18 years, and it won't be this way again for quite awhile either. I heard it's 14% closer and 30% brighter than normal. I plan to go out and look tonight. I hope all of you do, too.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your walk and cutting 2 minutes off your best time. It is fun to compete against yourself in these type of events I think.

    ReplyDelete