Thursday, September 23, 2010

Known/Unknown...Good News/Bad News

I had a wonderful morning at the synagogue for the first day of Succoth services. It was delightful seeing everyone and receiving hugs and warm wishes. I got an aliyah, a refuah shlayma blessing, and benched gomel for surviving the surgery. All Good News.

Mark and I were then invited back to Annie's house with Wendy. We played one game of Mah Jongg, which Annie won, while Marc (that's Annie's Marc, not MY Mark) made us a fabulous lunch of salmon salad, tossed salad, and tabouli. More Good (and delicious) News.

All too soon it was time to drive up to the surgeon's office for the follow-up appointment. I was nervous about it. Well, we know a little more but not everything. We still have a lot of unknowns. We have some potentially good news, and we have some potentially bad news. But mostly, I think it's pretty good.

Good News: The hernia is healing up well. Even though it was smaller than the original one, it apparently had some very icky (read DEAD) material in there that he cleaned out completely. He said it was really good to get that done because it would have been a bigger problem soon. He also seemed surprised that it had never caused me any pain.

Good News: The doctor removed all the bandages. The surgical sites look pretty good to me.

Good News: He took out the drain!! YAY! Mark is thrilled that he no longer has to clean it out twice a day. I'm thrilled not to have it pinned to my clothes or taped to my hip.

Good News: It didn't HURT to have the drain removed, even though they warned me it might.

Good News: He got a CLEAN MARGIN!! YAY!! No more cutting. I'm ECSTATIC.

Bad News: He got a clean margin, BUT they found a small papillary tumor. The doctor is not worried about it. HM...Hopefully the radiation will kill it. I looked this up, and a papillary tumor is a cancer but a slow-growing one. I guess since it's small, in the area that will have radiation, and slow-growing, they decided not to go back and cut some more.

Bad News: One lymph node, of the 15 removed, has cancer in it, maybe. The report is preliminary, and they are still checking. It might yet come back no node or more than one node is involved. Hm...basically they don't know anything for sure yet about the nodes.

Bad News: No other tests are back yet. I still don't know staging, aggression, hormone receptors, etc.

Bad News: If I don't do all my exercises, I could get a "frozen shoulder" from scar tissue in the lymph node area.

Good News: He gave me exercises to prevent the "frozen shoulder." I have to crawl up the wall. Ha Ha! Sounds like fun. I have to start that on Monday.

Good News: The surgeon doesn't need to see me again for six months for a final follow-up. OK, I can do that. It will be around Lowell's birthday in March, so we'll come up for a check-up and take Lowell out to dinner for his birthday. Fun.

Bad News: If I need chemo, he'll see me in a week to install a port on my right side under light sedation.

Good News: I'm allowed to DRIVE the CAR!! YAY!! I drove all the way home from the doctor.

Good News: There was a present waiting for me at home. Someone sent me a fabulous package of teas and decaf coffee.

Bad News: The wonderful person who sent me the package did not include a card or anything to identify him/herself. Who are you? Please do not remain anonymous! I want to send you a thank you card.

I still feel like I really don't know enough yet, but it felt good to have the drain gone and to learn that they got a clean margin. Clean margin if you don't count that little, tiny cancerous papillary tumor. DARN IT! Why is it never completely good news for me?

Monday I will see the radiation oncologist, but we noticed today that it is at the same time as Mark's cardiology follow-up. DOH! So he has to drop me off at the radiologist at 1 p.m. for my official appointment time of 1:30 in Catonsville and then go to his cardiologist in Columbia for a 2:30 appointment. I am scheduled for a two hour appointment with the radiologist, so it's just sort of awkward timing. Oh, well...if I get done before he gets back, I have lots of books, and I'm sure they have a lovely waiting room.

Next Thursday I will see the medical oncologist. The surgeon has assured me that the rest of the pathology report should be in her hands by then. She will then discuss with me my further treatment options. You know that I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

  1. Didn't have to do a tally to see that the good news definitely outweighs the bad. And the bad isn't BAD it's more of an unknown. Only 1 game of mahjongg. Enough to whet your appetite but not enough to satisfy. Now that you're officially mending, it's time to schedule a game.

    So glad to hear all the good news. Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlene, Yes, I think I whet my appetite and just tickled Annie's. She has admitted she's obsessing over playing.

    I didn't even think to do a tally, but looking back, you are right. The good outweighs the bad and the bad isn't so bad. I do feel pretty good, in general, about all the news.

    See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the report is great!! Keep getting well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! A clean margin is GOOD! (I wish I could say I sent you the package, but I didn't, because I don't have your address. Email it to me, please.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda from Cancer CareSeptember 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM

    I am so happy for the good news. I am hoping that the bad news won't be so bad. I am glad that you got the drain out and it didn't hurt. Keep up the excellent recovery. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope that you have some time to do some celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you in shul on Thurs. When doing your wall exercises pick a wall near a window with a nice view if possible. It will be much more pleasant that way. Glad the drain removal was not painful. Thinking of you and Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. The good news was great news! We were glad to hear it. Fortunately you are one who focuses on the positive. It's wonderful that you can now drive--independence! I will call you soon. We have much to discuss! Joyful times ahead. Hello to Mark.

    ReplyDelete