Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuesday weight and the day's plans

Well, no good deed goes unpunished, or something like that. I guess it wasn't really a good deed to get some disturbing news (possible chemo) then go on an eating and drinking spree. On the other hand, it's so typical for me to turn to food first as a comfort source. Honestly, if Mark hadn't been with me, the amount of junk food consumed followed by the amount of dinner calories, liquor, and bedtime snacks would have been a LOT higher. A very large toffee mocha latte, Rice Krispie Treat, and 4 glasses of very sweet wine isn't a bad tally for me. I also had a good, nutritious Hungry Girl dinner that Mark prepared, then later some prunes, a banana, and a bag of blueberry-flavored rice cakes as a snack. Yeah, things could have been much worse.

Having said that, my weight this morning is 221.5. A pound up from the last few days, but all things considered, not mad. Now I have the opportunity to start another week and try to do my best again. Maybe I'll finally be up to getting back to walking.

Of course, many of you still think I'm doing too much, and maybe I am. Obviously, if I overdo it, my body is going to tell me. I found that out at the synagogue on Saturday.

I have to make one correction to yesterday's blog. I said six weeks of radiation, 36 treatments. LOL Obviously, my ability to do math was compromised last night! 5 days a week, 36 treatments is SEVEN weeks plus one day. Since they don't do it on any big holidays, it could run into 8 weeks, I guess, depending on when it happens. Sigh....more time.

Today should be fun, but I'm almost afraid to list everything we're going to do lest people tell me not to do it or I jinx it somehow so I get sick and can't do it. Hm...a hint of superstition here? Oh, hell, I've never been a really superstitious person. I usually do not forward chain emails that say send this to 10 friends right away or something bad (or good) will happen to you, unless the content is just too good to pass up! So, sure, I'm going to list our agenda for today. Hold on to your hats:
1. Drive an hour to College Park,
2. Stroll around IKEA looking at sleep sofas, chests of drawers and armoires, storage units for media, and dining room tables and chairs to get ideas for the future,
3. Eat lunch at Pita Plus in College Park for some nice kosher food,
4. Drive a half hour up to Laurel and get a pedicure, no manicure, go to the bank and deposit some checks,
5. Drive 20 minutes up to Arundel Mills Mall, go see the new Disney movie You, Again, hopefully for the 2:40 show so we can get the discounted price, walk at least once around the mall, shop at a few stores for this and that
6. Drive 45 minutes back up to Cindy's house, exhausted, but in time for Mark to go grocery shopping, then make dinner. He might actually put the shopping off to tomorrow, but that's his choice later today.

Are you exhausted reading it? Are you mad at me for attempting it? Are you screaming at your computer saying, "NO, BECK, Don't GO!!!"? Oh, please, you know I can't hear that. I'll read your comments tonight, either happy that the day went well or sick and mad at myself that I didn't listen to your advice. I'll let you know tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Rhonda from Cancer CareSeptember 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

    I hope that when you are reading this you are back at Cindy's home after a wonderfully fun day with your husband and getting ready to have a great supper. Take care of yourself and I can't wait to hear how your day went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Rhonda on this one. Better to schedule a big day and cut when necessary than to not schedule a day out of fear that you will not be well enough to do things. You're probably getting better at reading the warning signs and should know to cut back when necessary. You can't expect to know everything--take the time to watch yourself and learn. Hope you had a great day. Looking forward to the juicy details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda and Arlene, Thanks for the comments. Mark and I did everything on the agenda with just a few modifications. Pita Plus is closed! So we drove there for nothing and then had to go somewhere else, non-kosher, for lunch. It was fun and delicious, but took longer than planned, so we gave up on the pedicure for today. I'll catch that tomorrow. We loved the movie, also bought bluetooth handsfree devices for our phones while we were at the mall, but then got too tired to go grocery shopping. We made it home about 6 p.m., quite happy with our long day's outing. I have felt fabulous all day!! Loved IKEA. We hadn't been there for years, so we wandered around for almost 2 hours and made lots of notes about all the things we want to get in the future for our new Florida house. Can't wait to be there and get that beautiful stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, Aren't you doing chemo now? Just before our support group closed down, I remember someone was starting chemo on the same day I had my surgery, Sept. 16. Was that you? I didn't remember that you had had chemo years and years ago. So this time is a recurrence or a new cancer? I also heard today from someone that lobular cancer does not respond well to chemo. UGH. That was a new one on me. I'll be asking my medical onc about that on Thursday, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda from Cancer CareSeptember 29, 2010 at 5:11 AM

    Reby,
    Juanita from our group was starting her first chemo on Sept 16. I have a reoccurence of Breast Cancer that I am getting chemo for since Feb 2010. First time chemo is tougher than chemo for reoccurence it seems to me at least at this point. But don't think a second thought about me because if you have chemo, we are praying that it will be once and then you will be done with cancer! That is the way we want it to be. You are a very good writer. You might decide that you have things that the whole world needs to know in the form of a book. If you do, would you please tell me cause I'd love to read your book.

    By the way I am so happy that your day went well today. I hope that you can keep having as many very fun experiences as you can tolerate while you get through the rest of this healing from the surgery period. Laughter is therapeutic for sure when you are not too tired to laugh. I am thinking of you.

    I don't remember what type of cancer you have. Is it lobular? Too be honest, I know the hormone receptor status of my cancer, but I don't know whether or not my own cancer was lobular or not. I didn't know that lobular cancer doesn't respond well to chemo. When you get a chance to ask your chemo dr re this I would love to know what he/she says. Take care of yourself! I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhonda,
    Thanks for the extra info. I had forgotten it was Juanita. Hope all is going well for her. I do not think I will be writing a book, but I guess no one should save "never." My son wants to be a writer, maybe I'll leave it to him to write the book! LOL I'm sad that you are having a recurrence, but it sounds like you are doing well. If you started chemo in Feb, are you about done now? I will definitely be asking the doctor tomorrow about the lobular cancer and the response to chemo! That's huge, now, for me. Let me know how your chemo is going and how many side effects you have weathered. I'm all about that now, unless a miracle happens tomorrow and I get out of chemo. Doesn't seem likely anymore. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't help but love your attitude! A bit of that "piss and vinegar" with a healthy dose of good cheer.

    -- cheering for you, John

    ReplyDelete