Sunday, September 19, 2010

Time for shower and visits.

It's been a long time since I left the hospital, and a lot has happened, mostly all good. I started to feel nauseous yesterday, so I stopped taking the pain meds. I've been off them now over 24 hours, and I think that's a good thing. I walked all the way to the stop sign yesterday and back, but today I walked a little less. Still, I did go outside and walk a bit, twice.

I had two big adventures today. The first was a shower! Going up the stairs, undressing, washing my hair and taking a shower, re-bandaging the drain suture, and redressing took an hour and 10 minutes. Whew! I was exhausted when I was done. Mark was an angel. He helped me every step of the way, including washing my hair because I cannot raise my left arm up high enough to reach my head! He got in the shower with me and literally shampooed and conditioned my hair. What a guy!

Then my brother Kip and sister-in-law Denise came by with lunch. They brought a fabulous baked ziti, salad, and bread. They also brought me a great story of how they bought a Mah Jongg set in Beijing and presented me with the set! It was a great story and it's a beautiful set. The box alone is worth more than the price they paid for the whole thing. Just amazing, and I can't wait to show it off to everyone next time I get to play.

They also brought me several hours of marvelous conversation and stories and love. It is not possible to exaggerate how welcome that sort of thing is in recuperation.

Tonight I will have Lowell to share dinner and TV watching with me. He is coming over soon, and we'll have a nice salmon dinner and watch the first two seasons of How I Met Your Mother. I have never seen that show, but it sounds like fun to watch it with Lowell.

All in all, today has been a good day. I will admit that around 11 a.m., when I just went upstairs to start the process of showering, I indulged in a few pity tears. I started to feel sorry for myself and allowed the tears to flow for a few minutes before reminding myself that I'm really not that bad off. There are people in worse positions than mine. Yes, my arm hurts today; yes, I have been feeling really tired and queasy; yes, it's a pain in the butt to do every little thing, but it's OK. I'm going to be ok. I have family and friends rallying all around. The wagons have been drawn up in a tight circle, and I know I'll be safe.

8 comments:

  1. Was worried when you di not post today. Every day you will get a little stronger. But, remember usually 2 steps forward, one step back. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. Glad you had company.Yo know Mark is the best.
    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Robin's advice. Wanted to let you know that the choir redeemed itself Kol Nidre--will send more details about that by email. Singing with Phil is always uplifting, and we were very mindful of having our pitch before starting. Rachel also stepped up and solidly conducted. You would have been proud of us.

    Also remember that bottling up your emotions is not healthy--so letting out a few "pity" tears is okay. But no wallowing! It's a new year--we're moving forward!

    P.S. Showering with your spouse--that's not a chore--that's a fun activity! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,
    Sounds like you had a very busy day today and are making great progress taking a shower, etc. The fact that you did it is amazing!
    Each day will get better even if it doesn't seem so right now. Enjoy your time with family and having everyone help you! Get the rest you need.

    Wow, a brand new maj jong set from Beijing! Just let us know when you are ready to break it in and we will be there. Can't wait to see it.
    Debbie, Mary, Robin and I played a few games outside shul today after our Sisterhood meeting. It was a gorgeous day and we all won at least one game, after Robin left after winning 3 in a row!

    Becky, feeling sorry for yourself is normal at this time. You are thinking, Why did this happen to me? No one has the answer, but this experience will make you appreciate and love life even more once you get through it.
    You are lucky to have so many loved ones around.

    So much for my words of wisdom at 4 am. Better get back to sleep.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are doing wonderful at your recovery. I am so happy that you are surrounded by so many good friends/family. You are in my thoughts/prayers. I think that it is ok to cry sometimes. You have been through a whole lot lately. Have a good day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sweetie -- those weren't pity tears -- unlike BP, your "relief valve" is working just fine. So glad you had a good day Sunday. "How I Met Your Mother" should be good for a laugh or two, the character played by Neil Patrick Harris is very funny.
    If you promise to teach me to play Mah Jongg, I will teach you to play Bananagrams. I have always wanted to learn but have never had the time.
    You continue to be an inspiration to me -- after we finished cutting and putting up the s'choch on the Sukkah and decorating it, and I taught a guitar lesson, I still made time to exercise, because, if Becky can do it, I have no excuse whatsoever. 10 pm last night, I was grumbling in front of my exercise video, but I did it anyway. Keep posting all of your triumphs (and a shower and a walk are triumphs) and keep us all inspired with your strength.
    Love, Farlee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky,
    You are so right about all the messages from friends and family helping - I certainly felt the same way! Sending you warm, supporting thoughts and sending G-d prayers on your behalf for a complete and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think you are amazing. tears are good, they wash away the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are making progress even if it seems slow. You'll get there. I just started learning to play Mah Jongg with a group that plays sporadically. My rationale was that I'll need something to do when I'm older (and in the 'home') and I can't Israeli dance anymore. I don't know that I'll ever get good and quick but this group has a lot of patience. Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete