Wednesday, September 8, 2010

L'shana Tovah to all.

Tonight begins the holiday of Rosh Hashana. We will be picking up our friend Frank and having dinner with the Rosens and others, as well as moving in with them for the next five nights. It should be fabulous. Of course, first we have to drive another 465 miles to get there.

A lot can happen in a year. Rosh Hashana is a natural time to reflect on the many changes that took place over the past year. Mark and I just sat and added up how many nights we were out of our house (either house!) since last September 8. It was an astonishing 120!! That's one-third of the year in hotels, trains, or ships. Obviously, it was a big year for travel.

We also prepared for and sang the Cabaret Showcase at the synagogue in a snowstorm and again at a resort in WV in the heat of Memorial Day Weekend. Plans for the third performance have been shelved permanently due to my breast cancer diagnosis.

I had hernia surgery; Mark had his takotsubo; I developed breast cancer. OY!!

I retired!

Evey got engaged, graduated, moved to California. Lowell started grad school for an MFA.

Of course, we sold one house and bought another. Wow! That was really something we are proud of being able to accomplish.

This year will bring a change to both my body and my mind with the partial mastectomy and radiation therapy. I'm praying for a complete cure and no chemo after this second surgery. I really have not psyched myself up to endure chemo yet, but if I am told I must, then I must. I am hoping that it is a good omen to have surgery between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. There's probably nothing really auspicious about it, but I'd like to think maybe it's a good time. As it says at the end of the Yom Kippur service, the Book of Life is sealed for a new year. May we all be inscribed and sealed for another happy, healthy, sweet year.

No comments:

Post a Comment