Monday, September 6, 2010

Last Day in Solivita for awhile.

Mark made us low-carb pancakes and scrambled eggs for breakfast yesterday, his usual Sunday morning breakfast. Then we headed out to Downtown Disney to see the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It was a lot of fun. I know it was based on graphic novels, but I had not been prepared for how much of that style was in the movie. We both enjoyed it very much.

After the movie, we strolled over to the other side of the Disney Marketplace for lunch at the Earl of Sandwich, before heading to the Magic Kingdom. The object was to ride Space Mountain for the new soundtrack. We were standing in front of the ride at 4:30 and our choices were to Fastpass it, which meant getting a ticket to return at 7:30 for the ride with no waiting, or standing in line now, which meant a 50 minute wait in line. We waffled. We didn't feel like standing in line 50 minutes, but we also didn't plan to stay in the park until after 7:30. What a quandary we were in. I didn't feel like standing in line that long, but I told Mark to go ahead and do it. I don't think he wanted to do it by himself, so he just wanted to bail and go home. I finally talked him into it, so he went by himself. I wandered around Tomorrowland looking in the shops and just waiting on a bench. The weather was cool, breezy, and threatening to rain, so I kept looking for covered places to be. When Mark came back, he said it was ok but the soundtrack on the track instead of in the car wasn't as good as it could have been. Still he was glad he did it. The idea of reading about something that is just opening and having the ability to run over and do it right away instead of planning for a trip a year out is one of the reasons he wanted to live here.

We also took the time to ride my favorite Tomorrowland ride, the People Mover, before we headed home. Once home we had a delicious grilled salmon dinner with broccoli and baked potato, watched Jerry Lewis' MD telethon until about 11 p.m., and then went to bed exhausted but happy.

Today is our last full day in Solivita for several months. It's going to be another work day in the house, more boxes to unpack and some actual cleaning to do so the place isn't a wreck when we return. There will also be packing of suitcases, yet again, and exercising at The Palms for the final time. Sad to think that we have to leave, but I'm getting sort of eager to get the surgery over and done. I keep reading about it, and I'm ready to do it now. There's Rosh Hashana first and a few more fun times with friends before that happens, but seriously, it's been a long wait. I found the lump mid-June, it was removed mid-July, and now it's two months later, mid-September, before the rest of the treatment commences. It's time and I'm ready.

One very sad note for this holiday weekend is the lack of Hawaii! I know you are scratching your heads going, "Huh?" Ha Ha!! It has been our tradition since the kids were in school to search for all 50 license plates between the start of Memorial Day weekend and the end of Labor Day Weekend, which is today. Most years we get all 50 and many of the Canadian provinces, sometimes a few islands, also, like Puerto Rico or Guam. Some years we were unsuccessful because South Dakota or Wyoming were illusive. It has NEVER been Alaska or Hawaii that failed to appear, until now. It's especially frustrating this year to have Hawaii be the lone missing state since we were IN Hawaii for a week back in March and saw thousands of them! I also saw it THREE times during the summer, but I was alone. The game only counts the license plate if two family members see it at the same time, but I was in Laurel doing errands by myself when I saw it. I didn't really worry because I figured there would be a day when Mark and I were in the car together, but I didn't count on being gone from Laurel so much of the summer. Laurel is the gold standard for license plates! LOL It's because it's next to a major army base, so we have always figured the Hawaiian plates were on cars that had recently been relocated to Ft. Meade. Still, the season is ending today, and we do not anticipate seeing Hawaii drive by our street here in Solivita. LOL So this year's list will remain unfinished.

1 comment:

  1. I guess if you're in the state (Hawaii) it doesn't count! I guess it's like mahjongg. Some days you get a lot of flowers (and don't need them) and some days you just wait and wait and wait. That happened to me at Wendy's playing mahj. Finally won on a concealed hand. Worked the french fry booth at the Labor Day Festival. Had my fill of sweet potato fries (yum) and don't need to see another one for a year--at least.

    Note from your last post on how to comment. In my profile, I select google account (I think it may only work when I'm signed in) and it automatically puts in my name. So if you have a google account, it's just one step easier.

    Weather has been beautiful here--should stay that way through Rosh Hashanah. Understand your readiness to move forward. We're with you.

    ReplyDelete