Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Another frustrating week

I am depressed, frustrated, and a bit angry about my weight loss efforts this week. I stayed the same, 247.5. Once again, staying the same would have been frustrating enough, but because I got on the scale each day, my frustration level is even higher. I lost, lost, lost, then in the last two days gained and gained.

Here is a day-by-day chart showing calories, Weight Watchers points (31 is target), exercise, and weight. Sorry, I noticed the chart does not retain the spacing of the columns, so it's not as clear as I would have liked.
Date Weight Calories Points Exercise
5/31 247.6 1380 27 30 mins. swimming
6/1 247 1525 32 35 mins walking, 20 mins weights
6/2 247 1550 35 none
6/3 245.5 1460 23 none
6/4 245.5 1455 33 15 mins. walking, 22 mins. weights
6/5 243.7 2130 31 30 mins. swimming
6/6 246.6 1330 18 22 mins. weights
6/7 247.5

On 6/2 we had lunch and dinner out. On 6/3 we had lunch out. On 6/4 we had dinner at our friends' house. On 6/5 we had lunch and dinner out.

I think it's good to look at all of this. I went over my points 3 times, but I went under 3 times as well. WW gives you bonus points to use during the week, and I'm allowed 49. I used only 7 of those during the week on the 3 days that I went over the target number of 31. Not bad, I thought. My target calories are between 1200 and 1500. I went over that target 3 times, also, but the average calories for the week was 1547. It would seem that I was regularly over my daily calorie target. I also want to do aerobics for 30 minutes, five days a week and weights three days a week. I did the weights, but I went way under on the aerobics.

So, doing this little exercise is reducing my frustration a little. Clearly 1500 calories is my maintenance amount. That's kind of sad because I feel "deprived" keeping to that amount of calories. It is restrictive to me, but that seems to be how much my body uses to stay the same. As I lose weight, that number will only go down. UGH. My metabolism must move at a snail's pace.

So let me make some positive statements about what I can do differently this week.
1. Stay at 31 points or less on the WW app.
2. Stay closer to 1200-1300 calories per day.
3. Get my five or more aerobic sessions in.
4. Continue to do the weights three times.

Sounds easy, but it's not!! This week we are only scheduled to eat one dinner out, Sunday night. That should help the week stay on target, too.

Yesterday I had PT and got my arm rewrapped; I saw my radiation onc for my six week check up and all is well; and I had the CT scan of the head without contrast dye. We also filled out the forms and paid our membership to the new synagogue.

I think I have mentioned in the past that I have six nodules in my lungs. These were discovered on a CT scan in 2006 on an abdominal scan looking for something else that turned out to be nothing. Because of the lung nodules, I was sent to a pulmonologist who sent me for CT scans every three or four months through 2008. The nodules never changed, so I was dismissed. When I had the PET scan in February, the nodules were noted. My med onc wants to send me for a chest CT to check them. I said NO. I have all the CTs from three years with the pulmonologist. Yesterday I turned all of those scans over to the cancer center. They are sending them to the radiologist so he can compare the old scans to the new PET scan. I suspect that they have not changed. Let's all pray that I am right.


2 comments:

  1. Becky,

    Are you monitoring inches as well as pounds? I suspect you may be gaining some muscle mass as you are able to ramp up your exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestion, John. I should start doing the inches thing, I guess.

    ReplyDelete