Thursday, June 16, 2011

Puffy Hand


With a great deal of help from Mark, I was able to upload this picture from my phone. This is me in my garden party outfit that I'm going to wear to Leslie's shower for Evey in NJ on July 2. Evey pronounced it a good outfit!

So far I am not good at this wrapping thing. Yesterday I did it to myself, but under the therapist's watchful eye and tutelage. It was a much better job than when I did it on my own at home Tuesday night, and you can see it on my left arm in this picture. Still, this morning when I took it off, my hand, fingers, and wrist are HUGE. I have never seen them look worse. Clearly, the wrapping can help tremendously or make it much worse. When I unwrapped the therapist's wrappings, my hand and arm always looked terrific! Now, I have undone three weeks of work with my clumsy attempts.

I am now doing a lot of manual lymph drainage on my hand. I'm also taking advantage of having no wrappings to get this blog typed. Then I have to shower and rewrap before heading up to the PT clinic for my 11 a.m. appointment. She will check my wrappings, undo them, give me therapy, and then watch me rewrap it yet again. I don't think that I'm going to enjoy this aspect of my new normal.

Other than this crazy unwrap/wrap/unwrap/wrap morning, Mark and I are going to have some fun shopping and going to Downtown Disney. Today is my day to buy things for the MD wedding shower. I have lots of goodies and surprises in mind, but I can't tell you what they are on the blog because Evey and lots of the women coming to the shower read this. I want it to stay a bit of a surprise. At least I know now how many goodie bags to make. There are only 2 women that I have not heard from, but I don't expect either one to come. And my cousin Irene is trying hard to get the day off from work because she really, really wants to come. I'm going to make her a goodie bag and if she can't make it, I'll drop it off at her house the day after the shower!

5 comments:

  1. That is a very cute dress. I think that it looks very nice on you. I hope that the therapist can help you make some modifications so that your wrapping is more helpful to your arm/hand/wrist/fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rhonda! The dress is really everything I wanted. The flip flops were an impulse buy. They were on such a good sale, only $8, that I couldn't resist. I actually don't like the feel of a thong between my toes, but I figured I could tolerate it for a few hours at the party. I wish the hat had a slightly bigger brim, but there weren't any better ones at Penney's yesterday. If I see something better, I might get it. This one is OK, though. I can totally go to the party like this.

    This morning I decided to disobey orders and not rewrap prior to heading to therapy. Instead I put the compression sleeve and new glove on. I only just picked up the glove yesterday after therapy, so she hasn't seen it. I thought this would be an opportunity for her to assess it. I like it a lot better than the bandages. It also lets my hand have a little more freedom and I can actually type with all the fingers, like I'm doing right now. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, this outfit looks great on you. You look so thin in this picture. You really do!! I can't wait to see your Mother of the Bride outfit. When my son got married I too bought a lovely dress (tea length)and gave more money for it then anything I've ever bought. I even had shoes and purse died to match. It was peach with a full beaded bodice and a flowy, sheer material (can't remember the fabric). I know you will look lovely. I hope things go OK today with your lymph therapy. have a wonderful evening. You are doing great!!

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juanita, Your MOB dress sounds like something I would LOVE to wear, totally my style. Evey was hoping I'd find emerald green, and we did. It's not my usual style dress, but I hope it looks OK. I'll be sure to post pictures when she sews it back together to make it fit! She's taking the size 20 and making it a 24. I find that amazing.

    ReplyDelete