Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blame it on the Tuna Salad

I am probably not going back to Panera any time soon. By late afternoon yesterday, I felt much better. I felt fine all day today. It just seems like too big of a coincidence that I ate the sandwich and then was sick all day the next day.

I had my ultrasound of the carotid artery today. It was a bit over an hour drive to get there, but it was an easy drive and everyone was nice once I got there. It took maybe 30 minutes for them to scan both sides. Results should get to the doctor by next Wednesday, they said. My medical oncologist is only going to call me if there is something wrong; I will see my PCP on July 7 to hear the official results. I'm sure there is nothing going to show up on either this ultrasound or the CT scan of the head from last Monday. Those results should have already gone to her, and I didn't get a call. Good sign.

After the ultrasound, I went to the Florida Mall. We have driven by it a lot, but this was the first time I went in. I intended just to walk around to kill some time before my lymphedema PT appointment, but I ended up shopping again. Monday I bought four dresses at kohl's at The Loop, intending one of them to be for Evey's NJ "garden party" wedding shower, but I didn't love them. I can, of course, use all the dresses for other occasions, so they won't go to waste. Still, none of them were what I really wanted to wear to the shower. Voila! J.C. Penney's to the rescue! They had a Liz Claiborne dress in my size that was exactly what I wanted, blue, cotton, slight sleeves. I also got matching flip flops (which I really never wear) and a hat! I'm all set.

I put everything in the trunk and then wandered the mall. It's very big. I think it's only one story, but it reminds me somewhat of the Columbia Mall. It was near lunch time, so I made my way to the food court and had spicy tofu with spicy mixed vegetables and veggie spring roll. YUM! It was the best fast food Chinese food I ever had.

After lunch, I went to my lymphedema appointment. My assignment last time was to unwrap and then rewrap myself at home. Because I had to get up and out so early this morning, I did it last night. It was so HARD. I did a crappy job, too, because when the therapist unwrapped it in the office, my hand was a huge swollen mess and so was my wrist and forearm. Clearly the wrapping can help a lot done properly, or totally screw you up when done improperly. She gave the arm a lot of therapy to drain it, so it looked pretty good when she was done. Then she instructed me in great detail about how to do it myself, and she watched and coached me as I did it. Now my assignment is to take it off tomorrow morning and then put it back on. I have my last appointment with her tomorrow at 11 a.m. where she will check my work. Ha Ha!! Hopefully, it will look a lot better. It's really hard to put this on to yourself, but I guess practice will make it better.

In her opinion, I should wear this all the time, every day and night, at least right up until I fly to Seattle on July 8. I will wear the compression sleeve on the flight because she said the TSA people don't like to see these big bandages and they could hassle me about it. I am supposed to rewrap the big bandages the instant I get in the hotel in Seattle. UGH. I'm pretty sure I might not be entirely compliant with this. I really want to go swimming some times. She already took away the hot tub, walking around in the sun, and swimming during day times. She has only left me swimming after 5 p.m., but if I wear the bandages all the time, then there is NO swimming. I just can't live like that! I know we have to get used to our "new normal" after BC, but this is where I draw the line. There WILL be swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment