Saturday, June 11, 2011

Not as painfree as advertised.

I went to PT yesterday and got rewrapped. The sores had healed up quickly, so that was no problem. I was feeling confident that my arm and fingers were in great shape and only my hand was still swollen. She disagreed. She said my forearm was a mess from being unwrapped for two days. This disturbed me because it makes me worry that I won't recognize the swelling in my arm when I am out of her care at the end of next week. Also, next week she is going to teach me how to wrap myself. UGH. Not really looking forward to that.

Later in the afternoon we drove nearly 90 minutes (mostly due to a closed lane on one particular road leading to a slow crawl for awhile) to the opthamologist. He was very nice. He examined the eye and pronounced it full of multiple retinal tears due to old age and life long near-sightedness. He said I needed immediate laser surgery to correct it or I could have a detached retina, which is a much bigger problem. I was nervous, but I got through it. It lasted about 10 minutes. It felt like a little hammer banging at the back of my eye and the top of my head. Not the most pleasant experience I ever had, but not the worst either. I left with dark glasses, a headache, blurred vision, and the admonition to avoid lifting anything or straining for two days.

We had to stop at two stores on the way home so Mark could do some grocery shopping for the week. I sat still on a bench waiting. It was really hard to look at anything. When I got home, I took 4 Advils for the headache (per the doctor's instructions), then Mark made me a delicious cocktail called "Dances with Wenches" that had guava berry liqueur brought back from St. Maarten mixed with juices from lemons, limes, and cranberries. It was delicious, but after a few sips, I fell asleep on the couch for two hours! I think the stress of the day caught up to me!

Today I have decided to do nothing. I am not going to shul; I am not getting dressed; I am not going to think or stress about anything. I am going to relax, watch some TV, play sudoku puzzles on my phone, and maybe sort through some stuff on my dresser tops. I had actually put "clean the dresser tops" on my calendar for yesterday, but the trip to the eye doctor took away that time. I felt a little cheated out of that, so I might just do it this afternoon. It will not require any heavy lifting or straining. I have misplaced my beautiful laramar necklace and bracelet from the last cruise, so finding them is my ulterior motive for cleaning up the dressers.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that you can have a very restful day today and tomorrow. I think that the cocktail is good to help you rest while your eye is healing. I am looking forward to some good days ahead for you. I think that you deserve them after all that you've been through lately.

    When you get done with the lymphedema therapist would it work to measure your forearms every so often to see if the one is swelling up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to be doing measuring. She took a lot of measurements the first day, so I plan to have those in hand when I leave on the last day. Then I'll have something to compare it with. I'm definitely having a nice day. I cleaned off all three dresser tops, sorted out and reorganized all my jewelry, and emptied and reorganized the two drawers in the night stand. It's been fun! I've been busy, but it's been easy going and I'm still in my nightgown! Very low key day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    I'm so glad you are having a restful, easy day. I hope tomorrow goes as well for you. I'm sorry about the added eye problem but thankful if they can help you. I had to slow my cleaning project after Mom broke her leg bone this week. Not sure when I can get back to it but hopefully things will come around with her. Thank you so much for your email and giving me some great ideas to check in to. I think that county may have Meals On Wheels and I'll check Monday on that. The drink Mark fixed you sounds wonderful. I hope the lymphedema steadily improves and becomes just a slight annoyance if anything. I hope you get lots better with it.

    Take care,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dances with Wenches: yes, I will have one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete