Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Happy Birthday, Cindy!






Today is my step-sister Cindy's birthday. For those of you who read this blog regularly, you know that I rarely use the word "step" in front of that word when I talk about Cindy, Kip, and Mark (not my husband Mark). These three are every bit as much my siblings as Flyn, in my opinion. I only hope they feel the same way about me.

I have almost no childhood memories that do not include the three of them. I can remember reading stories to Cindy when she was little. I remember Kip as a baby in a crib and babysitting Cindy and Kip when Jackie (their mother) went to the doctor to find out she was pregnant with Mark. After Mark's birth, there were several years when I rarely saw them because they had moved away from Laurel. Our relationship began again around 1973. Cindy was in high school; Kip was in junior high; and Mark was in elementary school. My dad married Jackie in 1974. From then on, we were officially a family. For that I have always been grateful.

Cindy is the one who graciously opened her house to Mark and me when I knew I would have to do surgery and chemo in Baltimore because of the insurance. This blog chronicled those days in detail, so those of you who have been reading this for the last few years already know that. Mark and I will forever be indebted to Cindy for that generosity. Once more I just want to thank her publicly in this blog for allowing us to live with her from August of 2010 through the end of January of 2011. It made a horrible experience a lot more tolerable. We love you, Cindy!

So, Cindy, I know you read this blog. I want to say Happy Birthday to you right here. Although I'm sure you are going to work today, I hope you can still have some fun. And...hm...your present is in the mail. LOL! Or at least it will be later today.

Today's pictures cover a lot of years. Two of them are from back in 1979 at Jackie and Daddy's house in Pasadena, MD. Lowell was an infant then. I included one of my all-time favorite pictures of me and Cindy. That is the one where she is in gorgeous red and I'm in emerald green at Evey's wedding. I thought we looked like Christmas tree ornaments. Seriously, I do love that picture. Then there is a picture of Mark, Cindy, and me at a kosher Chinese restaurant in Pikesville just before we left Baltimore to go to Florida. The other picture is at the hotel in Farmville, VA last Thanksgiving. Jackie, Cindy, and I are having breakfast together. It's the morning that Cindy taught me how to use the waffle machine in hotels. That was a mixed blessing! LOL! I love those waffles, but I shouldn't eat them. I asked her to show me how to do it, and she did! Yummy.

Have a fantastic day, Cindy! And look for a package to arrive next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment