Sunday, February 12, 2012

Installation was great.









First, let me say that most of yesterday did not go as planned. As the morning progressed, my cramps got very, very bad. I mentioned them to Mark, and he said he was very tired and it wouldn't take much for him to go back to bed instead of going to shul. I jumped on the chance, and very soon after, we were both asleep again in bed. First, I tried to find my old heating pad. I haven't wanted it since we moved down here, but I can't believe I would have thrown it away in Maryland. It used to work just fine. Well, I never did find it.

I slept from 9 to 11 or so yesterday morning, but when I woke up the cramps were still there. I lay on the couch and read for awhile. I took it very, very easy. If I stayed still and stretched out, the cramping was less. Around 3 p.m. I went back to bed until 5 p.m.

When I got up at 5, I definitely felt better. No matter how I felt, though, I was determined to get to the new rabbi's installation dinner at the Rosen Center. We both got all dressed up and around 6:15 we headed up to Orlando. Wow! The place was amazing.

This was like going to a fancy wedding! There was an hors d'oeuvre station, which included grilled asparagus, carrots, artichokes, and other veggies, plus three hot hors d'oeuvre chafing dishes holding mini spanakopita, mini potato knish, and mini egg rolls, all vegetarian. Everything was delicious. I had three asparagus and two carrot slices, 2 mini egg rolls, 2 spanakopita, and 1 mini potato knish. I also had half a glass of white wine, which they were passing around. Later, the sit down dinner included rolls and butter (which sadly I ate), a mixed green salad, a huge portion of baked fish in cream sauce, new potatoes, mini carrots and string beans, and an amazing mocha cheesecakey type thing for dessert. They were also liberally pouring my favorite wine, Bartnenura moscato d'asti. Oh, yes, I had two glasses of that! At least there was also dancing.

Mark and I sat with three other couples that we did not know, but we enjoyed talking to them and getting to know them some. There was a raffle, and the lady next to me won a gorgeous silver menorah. There was a silent auction, but Mark and I did not indulge in any of the items. From what I saw, they had fantastic items and everything was selling very well. This affair was to be a huge fund-raiser for the synagogue, and I suspect it was very, very successful.

I felt pretty good throughout the evening, so I was very grateful for that. This morning I feel better than yesterday, too. In an hour we are heading up to Clermont, about an hour northwest of here, to attend the Tu B'Shevat barbecue at the cantor's ranch. It should be fun. Just in case, I plan to take another 800 mg of ibuprofen and the two extra-strength Tylenol before I go.

It's COLD here this morning, and I'm not kidding! It was only 33 degrees out there this morning. Depending on which report you check, the high today will be between 52 and 62 with some wind. I am going to break out my sweatshirts this morning because the party is outdoors noon to three.

Today's pictures include the rabbi's father (also a rabbi) making a presentation to his son (our new rabbi!), our cantor leading havdalah, Mark with friends Jules, Judy and son Ilan at the cocktail reception before dinner, the rabbi and his wife watching the cantor, me and friend Marian, the rabbi and his wife again, and the yummy dessert. At least I only ate three bites of the dessert and let the rest go. If I had cut the hors d'oeuvres in half and skipped the roll, it would have been a better night for me, but I am hoping the dancing helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment