Monday, May 14, 2012

Great Mother's Day and SSI app

Here are some pictures from my awesome Mother's Day!  Best of all was that both Lowell and Evey phoned me.  I really treasured those calls.









First was a picture of my cards and the wedding picture from Evey.  Then we went to the brunch, where Mark won the centerpiece.  We went to see Dark Shadows and then on to Epcot where we heard Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits perform.  His voice is still fantastic! Today I got a delicious box of chocolate strawberries and apples from Lowell.  Yummy! I hope everyone had as great a day as I had.

This morning, we went to a lecture on the status of our new Poinciana Medical Center.  It is a 30 bed hospital and ER opening in the summer of 2013 directly across the street from the main Solivita entrance.  What I learned this morning is that it is being built with the capability of expansion from 2 floors to 5 floors and a tower, which will increase the beds from 30 to 150.  Wow!  I didn't know that.  If it is successful and operating regularly at capacity, they will begin expansion fairly quickly.  The lady making the presentation seemed to think that the expansion could come within five years after opening.  That is just amazing.

There is also a medical building for doctor's offices coming shortly after the hospital opens. I hope some of my doctors move in there!  That would be convenient.

The big news today is that I applied for my Social Security Benefits! I'm eligible to collect this summer, so the online registration form said they would begin on September 20, if all goes through as it should.  Of course I could collect about $500 more per month if I waited until I was 66 and $1100 more per month if I waited until I'm 70.  I don't think that's important. I don't count on living until those ages. Because Mark worked only for the federal government and never paid into SSI (and won't collect any benefits either), he is also not eligible to get any income from my SSI when I die.  I figured we might as well collect it right now.

I opened a new savings account today just for these deposits. All that money, minus some for federal income tax, will go directly to that account and never be touched for two years.  Then I hope I have enough saved for a trip for me, Mark, Lowell, Emily, Evey, and Eric to go to the Disney Aulani resort in Oahu for five days to celebrate my 64th birthday.  I plan to pay their airfare and hotel bills with the savings.  Mark plans to cover our meals and tours on Oahu.  How fun will it be to vacation with the family like that?  I can't wait! 


No comments:

Post a Comment